Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/03/12/business/12papers.php

Prediction is that, by 2010-2011, cities with two papers will go to one. And cities with one will go to none.

Do you get your city's daily newspaper? More important: Do you read it?

I still do get our Philadelphia Inquirer, yes. But on many occasions, it ends up in the recycle bin unread.

Part of it is the ability to get more up-to-date info elsewhere. Web. NewsRadio. Etc.

But I've got to say that part of it is the blurry line this pub'n has toward political commentary and news. A daily columnist in the Inky writes a piece called "American Voices" or somesuch -- it leans HEAVILY left and spent the past eight years calling for the tar-and-feathering of GWB.

Which is fine. If the paper wants to present that view, okay.

But more disturbing is the trend to put "American Voices" on the FRIGGIN' FRONT PAGE!!!!

Where, IMHO, it absolutely does not belong.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
SHUT-UP!!!!!!!!!!!! Shhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ZIP IT!!!!!!! SHUT THE PIE HOLE!!!!!

Newspaper accounts are probably 85% of our business. Without them, we'll go down. :(

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Oh, and the word around here is that NY Times (our biggest account) will be shutting their doors by May of this year.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
One of our papers was bought out be a free-daily, a LOT of people lost their jobs. Its a much smaller paper. The main paper, which we do get daily, is cutting back on staff too.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Indy went from two papers to one quite a few years ago. I still get our paper, but I had only been getting the weekend - I can read the week day papers here at the office. For as long as I can remember they've upgraded me to the whole week for free. Obviously with how things are going, they're finally taking that away from me. I was going to cut back to just the weekend, but I feel like I should support them.

I read the news online too, but I still read the actual newspaper. I don't know, something about the feel of flipping through the paper...

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
They have MAJORLY cut the staff at the Star here. Plus the ones that are left have some mandatory unpaid time off they have to take throughout the year.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I read the news online too, but I still read the actual newspaper. I don't know, something about the feel of flipping through the paper...
Exactly, I like to read while having breakfast, when I have time. There are many days the entire thing gets tossed in the recycle bin without being opened though. But for $20/month, delivered, its worth it IMO.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I was going to cut back to just the weekend, but I feel like I should support them.
Thank you! :D

I don't think they'll ever go away completely. People like to read the paper. Like Melis said, something about flipping those pages (and black ink on your fingers).

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm still carrying a torch for our Evening Bulletin, a paper I both read and delivered. Moving to the morning Inquirer stuck in my craw when the Bulletin folded, and it still bugs me, 20-something years later.

Not tossing-and-turning-in-my-bed bugging, but... y'know.

That said, yes, there is still an appeal to the traditional newspaper. For one thing, it's easier to read it on the throne than balancing a laptop on naked knees.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
We only have one small newspaper here. I've never gotten it because of their political stand. They are very biased towards the left. The editor's a jerk.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
They combined Detroit's two papers a while back. Now, they are cutting daily delivery to Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, unless you subscribe to mail delivery. :(

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I get our daily (Ottawa) newspaper delivered and read it with my morning coffee at 6 a.m. I also get the Globe & Mail delivered on Saturdays, and read that. If I'm in Toronto, I get the Toronto Star, and whenever I'm on business or a tourist elsewhere, I pick up the local paper. I LOVE reading the newspaper, and would hate for it to be gone - it's not the same reading online.

I listen to the radio alot too - CBC mostly.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
San Francisco went to one paper several years ago and the remaining one is about to go. The Chronicle is nothing but ads and lefty commentary, not surprising considering where it is. It's also one of the most tech-savvy areas in the country so it's also not surprising that most people are turning to the computer for their news.

Sacramento has one paper and they're cutting jobs.

I don't take any of them. I got tired of throwing unopened newpapers in the recycling bin.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
I subscribe to the Vancouver Sun. I enjoy reading it on my seabus ride to and from work. Our city also gets the Vancouver Province, Globe & Mail and National Post as well as a slew of small local weekly papers.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Houston lost the Post years ago and the Chronicle is shrinking. I am an avid paper reader. I read the Chronicle before I leave for work the and pick up the USA Today to read at lunch.
I do not like to read lengthly articles on-line. Gives me a headache after a while.
The New York Times is failing because they have lost so much credibility in the last few years. Don't want to start a political argument here but many people seem to have figured out the Times had become a propaganda machine and has failed miserable to do any real investigative reporting. Same problem with many papers today.
If the Times folds I hope at least that Will Shortz will find a publication for the crossword puzzle.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Oh, and the word around here is that NY Times (our biggest account) will be shutting their doors by May of this year.
I find that hard to believe. I know the Chicago Tribune is in trouble and the Christian Science Monitor is only printing weekend editions. I work for a publisher and I would have heard about something like that by now.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
They combined Detroit's two papers a while back. Now, they are cutting daily delivery to Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, unless you subscribe to mail delivery. :(

Didn't the combo have to do with the strike in the late 90's? It makes sense for us to only have one paper anyway. My local paper calls me nightly to subscribe.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts