Just Labradors banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband took Elias to the vet this afternoon because his incision isn't healing well, most likely because he's licking it too much. We really don't see him lick it much so he must be doing it while we are asleep or not home.
So he came home with the cone of shame. Poor thing, he is such a sensitive dog, I hope this doesn't upset him.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Wesley turned his into the Cone of PAIN!! He seemed to love ramming into the back of my knees w/his, where that sharp plastic edge felt like it had been honed like a razor. He also loved bashing around the kitchen, tossing chairs, pots, kids asunder. I think his attitude was: I suffer, You suffer!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
He'll get used to it. Poor guy.

Sally didn't like hers at first. She was totally pi$$ed at us for putting that thing on her.

But it didn't take long and she was getting around like he wasn't even on her. She had it down just how to negotiate walking around chairs and corners and table legs and everything. Plus, she was "lucky" enough to have it at xmas time, so this was our official xmas pic from that year:

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Elias, All the cool kids are wearing them!

Bauer really doesn't mind it, but he does knock stuff over. He has always been perfect when we leave him home, but now we get home and the dining room chairs are knocked over, the bar stools are knocked over . . . I always thought he just slept while we were gone, I guess he checks out the entire house.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys, your posts are cheering me up. Brian just texted me a picture of him in it and it literally made me cry. Brian said he put it on him at home before he left and he literally stood in the same position for 5 full minutes!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Instead of cones, we used kind of a round life preserver thing and it worked pretty well. Its a lot softer when they bang into you that's for sure. We got ours at Pet Supplies Plus. You put a collar through the tabs and that's how it stays on. We still got the bad face and the so pathetic look but it did work and was more comfortable for everyone.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Instead of cones, we used kind of a round life preserver thing and it worked pretty well. Its a lot softer when they bang into you that's for sure. We got ours at Pet Supplies Plus. You put a collar through the tabs and that's how it stays on. We still got the bad face and the so pathetic look but it did work and was more comfortable for everyone.
Is it smaller? Does it allow them to play with toys? That would be awesome! I feel bad for Bauer because he will get a toy, lay down, try to hold it with his front paws and fail because the cone is in the way, toy rolls down the cone and rests in front of him on the floor . . . its pathetic!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh no! Simon freezes like that too in the cone. Well, they do adapt to it after a time. I hate to do it too, but when it has to be done, it has to be done. Angus is right there with him...he'll be a conehead for the next 9 days or so.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
This is what Toby did to his cone of shame:

And this was his opinion of the whole experience:

With his last surgery, the cone wouldn't have helped protect the incision from him being able to scratch it, which is why he wore a t-shirt. Mych more comfortable for everyone.

·
Registered
11,989 Posts
Oh, he'll be fine. It'll just be a few days, right?

I had a dog who injured her ear and after surgery on it had to wear her cone for a month! 2 days after the cone came off she re-injured her ear by scratching it - more surgery with a drain inserted - and another month of cone wearing. I thought she would never be coneless again!

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Abby hated her cone also. We took it off after three days thinking she would not lick. WRONG!! She must have licked her incision at night & it started to get infected so after a trip to the vets for a check & some antibiotics the cone was back on. Sending good thoughts for Elias.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Answer for Bauer'sMom - yes - our pups could still play with a toy when they were wearing the Life Preserver Collars rather than the cones. They really didn't want to play too much though as they hated having anything on. One pup figured out if he arranged himself correctly he could just about reach the incision on his leg that he was supposed to not touch. It wasn't a perfect solution but it was way more comfortable than the cones.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.