Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With each other.

We haven't had an incident in more than two years. Everything seemed to be going so well.

Today my Dad came over to let them out to play. Mom was on her way, but he thought he'd save her a trip. Monday is usually my day, but she was going to be in the area so offered to switch with me, and I took her up on it because I had a busy afternoon.

Man, I wish it had been me here. I don't have a super clear picture of what happened, but it sounds like it just exploded for no reason. If I had been here, I probably could have seen something brewing and headed it off. Anyway, Dad was here by himself. He threw water on them, to no avail. It went on for three or so minutes, and somehow he managed to get Simon outside and leave Angus in. Oh Lordy. I am just glad he wasn't hurt.

I got the phone call about 1:30 and rushed home to get Angus and take him to the vet. He was hurt pretty bad. I was terrified he was going to lose his eye. The vet stained it and said it looked like he had a minor scratch and the rest was swelling, but it looks AWFUL. The stapled him in several places. I'd say he has in the neighborhood of 10 different wounds. All superficial, but holy cow.

I just got home with him - haven't eaten all day. I'm going to go down and check Simon out really good, but he seemed alright when I picked Angus up. He's limping now. Just want to make sure he hasn't got any punctures as well.

I've called the behaviorist and left a message.

I don't know what I'm going to do. I think I'm not crying because I'm still kind of in shock.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
((((((((hugs)))))))))

Connie, how awful. I hope Angus is okay, and Simon too. Have they fought before? Just wondering what would have started it.

I know with my old golden boy, he had seizures and when he would have one, my other dog would attack him and try to kill him, it was awful dealing with that so I know exactly what you are going through.

Sending good wishes that both dogs are okay and you can get a handle on what is going on.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Oh, Connie. I am so sorry. This must scare you to death and I hope both boys are fine. I hope the behaviorist can help you out.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you guys, for understanding. Linda, it happened a few times about two years ago. I thought we had a handle on it, as we've been all this time without any incidents, but apparently we don't. :(

It always seems to be this time of year when it happens (four separate instances now, all in winter). I thought maybe it was not enough exercise in the winter...so that was when we hired the dog walker for days who comes over and plays fetch with them, and I make SURE I'm out there every night playing fetch with them again, no matter what the weather. But if not enough exercise was the problem, I would never have imagined it would be today, of all days. This weekend they were out in the yard with me for HOURS while I gardened. They were both so tired Saturday and Sunday nights.

I don't get it. We have tried so hard to manage them. And I thought we were doing such a good job.

I checked Simon out - looks like three very small scratches, two on his ear and one on his face. That's all I can see.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Oh Connie, how horrible! I hope the boys heal up well for you, both physically and emotionally.

Is Simon still limping?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's still limping, but I can't see anything wrong with that foot. Thanks Melissa. What am I going to do with these two? :(

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Angus' eye looked so bad when I got him out of the car at the vet's I started crying. :( I hope it is going to be OK.

I wish Kevin would hurry up and get home.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Oh Connie. I am sorry to hear that. I am glad your boys will be okay. Who knows what will set a dog off. I am glad your dad was not injured. Sending good thoughts you can work this out.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
oh crap! I hate it when they do that....my two boys fight once in a while, Gordy always on the loosing end. It totally sucks. Especially when they get along so well most of the time.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
dutch and jax have had a few spats; dutch is always the loser, although he provokes. i'm glad your dad was able to get a handle on it.
it's heat season for girls...don't know if that has anything to do with it, but you mentioned they only fight in winter.
also, jake, who is now with my ex; got in a nasty, very ugly fight with dutch this time of year several years ago. i had a female foster at the time. they had lived together for 3 years with never a squabble.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Connie,

Are they both neutered? If not you might want to do that.

I know my Corgi and my Doxie/Cocker mix would fight. But it was all growl and fur biting. They never injured each other and as they were both smaller dogs easy to get apart. The only injury was to me one time when I grabbed the doxie/cocker instead of the corgi. If you grabbed Hap better would let it in but Hap always had to have the last nip and one time he made contact with my arm (5 stitches) instead of Pepper.

When we neutered them it calmed down a lot.

But sometimes one is just having a bad day and the other doesn't let it go and a fight starts.

Hope everything is OK.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Oh Connie I'm so sorry!! I know how stressful it is when they fight :( Hopefully the behaviorist has some good ideas to help you guys out :hug:

I saw your other thread about Angus too - I would guess it's a combination of the sedative and just the stress of the whole day. You know how it is when your adrenaline gets pumping and then you finally come back down from the stressful time, you can be just exhausted?

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Oh, no, Connie, I'm so sorry. And I'm sorry that it was such a bad fight. Lots of good thoughts for Angus and that Simon stops limping. I know how scary injuries near the eye can be. Theo slept for two days after he was attacked and bitten in the face.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Connie, I'm so sorry this happened. Hope Angus' eye will be ok.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You know how it is when your adrenaline gets pumping and then you finally come back down from the stressful time, you can be just exhausted?
Yes, you're absolutely right. That helps to think of it that way.

Sandy, so interesting, your observation about the time of year. I wonder. Even more oddly, my neighbor called after we got home, first because she saw three cars at the house and knew something must be up, but also to tell me that her puppy almost got into it with a neighborhood dog while they were on a walk. She was like, "Something must be in the air..." Maybe it literally is.

Oh, and yes everyone is neutered. They sure don't act like it though. :(

1 - 20 of 48 Posts