Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to post pics so you guys could see what I'm talking about.

I thought this looked bad:

Until four days later, there was this:

:(

All four feet look pretty similar on each one. Simon's feet got like that in an astoundingly short period of time. They were just barely losing some hair when I took him to the vet Saturday. By Sunday evening, this is how they looked.

Vet says they may continue to get worse until they've been on the meds a week. Angus' week was today, so HOPEFULLY his will not get any worse.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just wanted to add, you would think this would be incredibly painful - it hurts me every time I look at it. But they act like nothing is wrong at all, outside of the licking. They still want to play fetch, train, walk.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
omg.. that looks awful! I'm sorry you can't figure this out.. must be frustrating.. poor pups

·
Registered
11 Posts
I sympathize with you - we're going through the feet issues right now too.
Keep us posted as you learn anything new.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Ouch, poor babies!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hollydog, what kind of feet issues are you guys having?

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Oh that does look bad hope the meds kick in soon.

I knew you were not blowing it out of proportion...I could tell how concerned you are.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Oh, gosh, Connie, that looks awful. I really hope they get some relief with this medication. Theo has lost some fur in those areas from nibbling during spring allergy attacks, but his feet don't look anything like that, even at the height of his allergies.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Oh Connie! I am so sorry the boys are having problems. I've have mysterious hair loss on Guthrie's toes (just the tops of the toes similar to Angus') each October. In fact, that was what I was driving myself crazy about when all the sudden Guthrie had the horrid hive thing happen and it took my mind off the feet for a while. The vet could not figure it out but never did any tests for fungus. By January all the hair was back on the feet but this past October the exact same hair loss on the tops of the feet. I made a point of washing/wiping down each time he was outside but nothing seemed to help. Once again, as soon as Christmas passed the hair was back.

I know how frustrated you must be. I pray you find some answers soon.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Are you near a Veterinary School? If your vet can't figure out what's going on, I would think a Vet School would be able to isolate the problem. Seems that a scraping and analysis would tell someone something. Poor pup.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks you guys - I really appreciate your concern. It has helped me an awful lot just to be here and talk to you all about it.

Karon, I know you didn't think that. It wouldn't be the first time I blew something out of proportion, though. LOL! I wasn't doing too bad when it was just Angus...but when Simon got the same thing, and his feet started looking like this, well, I have really been freaking out a little. OK, a lot.

The meds are, I think, helping on Angus at this point. He doesn't seem to be licking *quite* as much, so I think it must not be bothering him as bad. Simon is still licking, but the hair loss has slowed. He lost that hair so fast, it was scary. It doesn't seem to be spreading much now.

You all would not believe the phone calls Mom and I have been making. Especially Mom...she's a master gardener (so am I, but not as active with the org. as her) so she's been tapping that source to see if anyone has ever heard of fungal spores carried in soil or mulch that can transfer to a dog (or person). No one has. We have gotten a few suggestions about antifungal treatments to the mulch that might get rid of anything nasty, and we are debating those.

I just have to think, with both of them coming down with it at basically the same time, and with it being all four feet, that it's environmental. I am suspicious of the mulch because I know from observation over the past few months that it is a friendly environment for fungus that I can see. But who knows...it could just be in the grass, in the environment in general. Or maybe I just didn't dry their feet all these times when it was raining, and that created a nice environment for it to get started.

It is just soggy here, and continues to rain. I have asked lots of friends if they have seen more mushrooms/fungus this year, and most people have. So it may not be the mulch, just the environment in general.

Or maybe it is just yeast, that occurs naturally on their bodies, and the conditions just became favorable for it to run wild.

??

I have no clue. All I know is, the vet said Simon's slide was "loaded with spores." He doesn't have a way to ID what kind, but offered to prepare a slide for anyone I could find who could. He's growing a culture right now to test for ringworm (he doesn't think so, but wants to rule out). He's also going to watch it for fungal growth, and if they see something they think could be analyzed he'll let me know.

I have a call in to the UT Knoxville teaching hospital Dermatology department. They said I could leave a message and a nurse would call me back. That was yesterday. I hope she does. Maybe somewhere like that has seen some cases of this and will be able to shed some light on why.

If there is a way I can prevent it happening again, I will do whatever it takes! But I realize it may just be a "perfect storm" kind of thing, with all this wet weather. In that case, everything will be OK as soon as the weather breaks and we can dry out some. Then I just need to concentrate on keeping their feet clean and dry.

Argh!

I'm just glad that we got it diagnosed and they seem to be improving (or not getting any worse) on the meds.

Thanks again you guys. It really helps to be talking to you about it.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Aww. Poor Simon and Angus. I'm glad it's not bothering them too much -- sure LOOKS ouchy!!

Wes has the following advice: Extra cookies will help. But then again, that's his cure for EVERYTHING. The lug.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Connie, is the skin dry or wet and oozy where the hair is gone?

When Shadow started losing the hair on her flanks, I was freaking out, too. The vet did all kinds of scrapings and tests and could find no cause for it. That's when the woman saw Shadow and recommended the Missing Link Plus, and it worked. But, the skin was dry, with no wet or oozing patches where Shadow lost the hair.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Connie, is the skin dry or wet and oozy where the hair is gone?

When Shadow started losing the hair on her flanks, I was freaking out, too. The vet did all kinds of scrapings and tests and could find no cause for it. That's when the woman saw Shadow and recommended the Missing Link Plus, and it worked. But, the skin was dry, with no wet or oozing patches where Shadow lost the hair.
No oozing...all dry on both boys.

I wouldn't be opposed at all to trying Missing Link! I bought it one time, but never used it. I think I ended up sending it to Joe. The boys are already on a plethora of supplements: Fish Oil for Angus, Coconut Oil for SImon, Digestive Enzymes, Probiotics, Colostrum, and Angus gets Glucosamine/Chondroitin. They are on way more supplements than I ever thought about taking myself! LOL!

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
check out the great dane lady's site...she talks a lot about yeast and fungus but what you have going on has to be environmental for both of them to have it. Poor Simon...his looks really painful. :(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts