Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...are thundering overhead right this minute.

We went to Thunder Over Michigan this morning, and found out the Blue Angels were not flying until after 3:00 pm. We decided not to stay that long, so we came home and have been watching the old planes flying for a couple of hours. Now the Blue Angels are up there. We can't see all the stuff they do over the air field, but we do see them - and hear them!!

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
are they the same as our red arrows~ the airforce jet display team?
Probably..here in the US, the Blue Angels are Navy pilots; the Air Force has a similar group here also...The Thunderbirds.

Watching those military pilots do their thing like that is an awesome experience!

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Oh how cool! We saw the Blue Angels about 5 years ago at McGuire AFB. We've seen the Thunderbirds every year since then. Even driving down to Dover DE this past June (no open house/air show at McGuire this year.). We normaly get to McGuire around 9AM and spend hours walking around (and shopping, too LOL) before the show starts.

are they the same as our red arrows~ the airforce jet display team?
Kind of. The Blue Angels are the Navy Demonstration Flight Team, their Air Force counter part are the Thunderbirds. ;)

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Cool!!! We went to a Blue Angels show a few years ago. A couple hours prior to the show, one of the pilots buzzed main street where many people where walking around, shopping, and waiting for the show to begin. Those guys are awesome! And daredevils!! ;)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These guys are the best of the best. You know the movie Top Gin? These men have been through Top Gun flight training, and then some!

There were 6 jets this time, and they were phenomenal. I cannot believe how precisely they fly, when any little waver could cause a catastrophe. One man at the airfield told us they fly off the lead pilot instead of their gauges, and if the lead pilot flew into the ground the rest would follow before they realized what they were doing, because they concentrate on him so tightly. Not sure how true that is, or if the guy was just talking through the top of his head.

The horses in the field across the road were not impressed, though. Every time the jets flew over them, they'd haul butt across the pasture to the other end.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
These guys are the best of the best...
Well, second best. :D

...You know the movie Top Gin? ...
We don't mention Top Gun here, ever since Tom Cruise p*ssed me off. ;) But, yeah, Top Gun is the Navy version of the Red Flag excercises they do out at Nellis AFB and up in Alaska (can't remember the name of base up there).

...There were 6 jets this time, and they were phenomenal. I cannot believe how precisely they fly, when any little waver could cause a catastrophe ...
The manuevers the Angels and 'Birds do are all based on combat stuff. Cool, isn't it? Even after seeing them so many time, I'm always amazed at what those planes can do (F/A18 Hornets for the Angels and F16 Fighting Falcons for the 'Birds).

What that guy said makes sense, to a point. Think of syncronized swimming- you have to keep your eye on the person next to you to stay in formation. So, yeah, it would make sense that when they fly in formation all together that they keep their eye on the lead pilot. Not sure they would follow him into a crash, tho.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I take the squirts to see the Blue Angels every chance I get, and we went to see the Thunderbirds in March in Tampa. Both put on incredible shows. I haven't seen the Red Arrows yet, but hear they are also awesome. Anything aviation related, and you can pretty much figure I will be there... :)

They actually ended the Top Gun program a few years back. Every 20 years or so, the Navy gets the idea that dogfighting is dead, only to be proven wrong. It's happened at least three times so far, and is happening again now. These guys really are the best the Navy has to offer though. Some pilots wait their whole careers for a shot at this that never comes. They serve in the Blue Angel program for two years, then are sent back to the fleet, to whatever assignment they choose.

Did they do the JATO takeoff with Fat Albert?

Kevin

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Neat....I learned something last April when the T-birds were at Luke AFB.

Go out the day before...no crowds...multiple planes flying at once. We watched the T-birds fly for over 1 1/2 hours while they practiced. I also got to see the proto-type of the new Air Force plane fly it is the F-22 or F-23 I think.

I had driven mom into the base to pick up her prescriptions from the pharmacy knowing the next 2 days were Luke Days. you could park anywhere around the base fences and see everything. And they fly for much longer during pratice.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did they do the JATO takeoff with Fat Albert?
Kevin
We didn't see them take off from the field, just flying overhead. We left the field at about noon because the weather was closing in and the ceiling was so low we didn't think they'd fly. It cleared enough, though, and we watched them from home. We are only a few miles from Willow Run airport and the Yankee Air Force Museum. It was hard getting pictures of them because of the cloud cover; you couldn't tell where they were going to come from until they were overhead. Here are a couple Bill was able to get:

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
...I also got to see the proto-type of the new Air Force plane fly it is the F-22 or F-23 I think...
Ahem, that's the F-22 aka Raptor, Missy. LOL That's the plane Kole works on. Got to see one up close and personal when we were in Vegas. And I do mean up close & personal. :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Fat Albert is the C-130 Hercules support plane that follows the Blue Angels and carries the excess equipment they need for the show, and the ground crews. The JATO takeoff is a part of the show that should not to be missed for any reason. JATO stands for Jet Assisted Take Off and they basically strap solid fuel rockets to the side of the plane and light the candles. The plane will take off in about a third of what it normally will. This may sound like nothing, but once you see it, you won't believe your eyes and the roar of the rockets with the vibration and the shock wave from it can't even begin to be described. :)

Here's a Youtube video of it...

Fat Albert JATO

Kevin

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
That's cool! Thanks for posting it. We've only seen the Blue Angels once, and believe it or not, I don't remember that (I wasn't as into the air shows as I am now). And you're so right- there's nothing like being there- feeling it and smelling the jet fuel. Which is why we went to Dover to see the 'Birds. They were out at Jones Beach, and will be in Atlantic City, but that's not the same as being on the flight line.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
I LOVE the sound of air force jets screaming over my house. I can't get enough of them.

This is some pics I shot at the Amberly air show last year of an F111 doing a dump & burn. Not my best effort but it was my 1st action shots with a new camera so I was still experimenting.

If you like jets & fireworks, watch this video from last year of a dump & burn over the Brisbane river. If you look closely, you'll spot me in the crowd at Southbank. :rolleyes: The sound that thing makes as it's flying through the middle of the city is unreal. Turn the sound up LOUD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0fbWQeGGyY&feature=related

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Oh I love the airshows! Every year there is one for Thunder Over Louisville. (It is part of the lead up to the Derby)
The Stealth bomber was here one year. It is eerily awesome. You don't know it is there until you see that shadow pass over you. I got chills watching it.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fat Albert is the C-130 Hercules support plane that follows the Blue Angels and carries the excess equipment they need for the show, and the ground crews. The JATO takeoff is a part of the show that should not to be missed for any reason. JATO stands for Jet Assisted Take Off and they basically strap solid fuel rockets to the side of the plane and light the candles. The plane will take off in about a third of what it normally will. This may sound like nothing, but once you see it, you won't believe your eyes and the roar of the rockets with the vibration and the shock wave from it can't even begin to be described. :)

Here's a Youtube video of it...

Fat Albert JATO

Kevin
That was very cool! They must not have done that yesterday, because we certainly didn't hear anything like that during or after the show. Maybe they will do it today.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts