Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Beautiful. Parts of that article actually brought tears to my eyes.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
She was a wake up to Cowell & co alright. You could tell by the look on his face he was ready to can her within 5 seconds of her walking on stage. Man did he get a shock along with everyone else. I had to laugh at the way he covered his butt at the end by saying something to the effect of "I knew she was going to be good". Yeah sure you did Simon. Nobody believed you. Not even Susan. :rolleyes:

Pity her Mother wasn't there to see it. :(

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
i had to find the video. her voice is just amazing.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I'm not quite sure what to say except that it seems to me that these "talent" or "reality" shows go about a lot the wrong way. Looking for a good-looking, sellable package that can be made to sound OK with enough reverb and back-up is not spotting real talent. That a gift for music comes in an average looking package really shouldn't come as a surprise, and it didn't used to, only since Idol and its ilk confused musicality with marketability. Go to the opera sometime and you'll see that not everyone on stage is beautiful, but their voices are.

Good for her for so many reasons.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I'm not quite sure what to say except that it seems to me that these "talent" or "reality" shows go about a lot the wrong way. Looking for a good-looking, sellable package that can be made to sound OK with enough reverb and back-up is not spotting real talent. That a gift for music comes in an average looking package really shouldn't come as a surprise, and it didn't used to, only since Idol and its ilk confused musicality with marketability. Go to the opera sometime and you'll see that not everyone on stage is beautiful, but their voices are.

Good for her for so many reasons.
Amen.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Susan Boyle is a delightful, caring woman with a God-given gift. I, too, wish that her mother had been sitting in the audience to see her on stage. But I'm sure that the galleries of Heaven enjoyed every note along with her.

God bless Susan Boyle, may she have a manager who undertsands and appreciates the woman she is and treats her like royalty, and may she have the stunning career she deserves.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I saw her video, great voice, another great talent find.

And, she certainly can be made to look better with a little bit of help in dressing, style, makeup, she'd be fine looking. Not a beauty, but then how many of us are?

I don't agree with this paragraph...

"I dread to think of how Susan would have left the stage if her voice had been less than exceptional. She would have been humiliated in front of 11 million viewers. It's the equivalent of being put in the stocks in front of the nation instead of the village. It used to be a punishment handed out to criminals. Now it is the fate of anyone without obvious sexual allure who dares seek opportunity."

Nobody MAKES these people go out on that stage. They have to be prepared for the audience mentality and a letdown perhaps.

It takes a strong person to go out and do this. It's not something I would do.

Hope she makes it all the way.

I also liked Paul Potts and bought his CD. Waiting for another one from him, I love his voice.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
How I wish these little reminders -- that we really have become shallow and judgmental -- would somehow stick. Sadly, the trend toward Simon Cowellism has become deeply entrenched. Look at how highly rated AI and shows like it are. So even sadder still, in about 10 days or so, Susan Boyle will fade from our consciousness and we'll be back to being just as snappy in our assessments of each other as before.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts