Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
I bought it after several people said they liked it on the old board...but after several attempts I just can't get into it.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I liked it even though it was predictable. Not necessarily a dog lover's book or a racing fans book.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I didn't realize it was being discussed here. I ADORED it. Loved every page. A most unique novel -- witty and heartfelt, engaging and insightful. Bravo, Garth Stein!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I just read it last night--didn't mean to finish it but couldn't put it down. It was recommended by a friend who really isn't an animal person. I loved it and loved the way the author stayed in character as the dog narrator. It just rang true with me, and I cried through the last bits of it.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Wait...I think I read this after it was discussed here before. ***SPOILER**

Is this the one about the race car driver whose wife gets sick and his daughter and wife move in with his inlaws?

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Wait...I think I read this after it was discussed here before. ***SPOILER**

Is this the one about the race car driver whose wife gets sick and his daughter and wife move in with his inlaws?
yes. The story is 'written' by his golden retriever.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I LOVED this book! Hope you enjoy it too :)

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
I read this over the last couple of days, i loved it. I thought it was witty and sad. Even though you know what is going to happen, it still got me at the end. I can't help but look at Harvey now and wonder what he is thinking.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I read this book and while it was like another person said, somewhat predictable, I couldn't put it down. Also like others have mentioned, I liked the fact it was written from the dog's perspective and I passed it on to a neighbor who is also a dog lover. Like Harveysmum, I found myself looking at my own dog, wondering just what he was thinking at any given moment.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I just tried to read this and could not get into it. I think I got through maybe 60 pages, but it never grabbed me.

What I did read, I found fairly depressing. And the I really didn't like the way it was told in the first person from the dog's perspective. I think the extreme anthropomorphism really bothered me. Dogs obviously have a certain intelligence, but I had a really hard time buying the complexity of abstract thought of the protagonist.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
same here rottnlab dad. i thought it was very depressing. yes, i liked the dog's point of view but the rest of the books was uggggggggg to me.

I just read One Good Dog...lots of emotion in that one, if you want to check it out! :)

another VERY good dog book; all from the dog's point of view is A Dog's Purpose. Excellent!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts