Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dog food is in the Wagon. Wagon is frozen shut. DH has rejected all suggestions from me.
Anybody quite any bright ideas?
Doesn't matter who posts them... I'll tell him it was an idea from one of the men.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
DH has rejected all suggestions from me.
What?! What did you suggest?

Tap the ice every so gently with a screwdriver. Like an icepick.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
It doesn't have to be boiling water. When my car's been frozen shut, I've poured hot tap water along the openings. But then, the ice was never an inch thick, I don't think, so I don't know if it would work. Plus, it would depend on how cold it was outside - you'd have to make sure you had enough time to melt all the ice before the water you poured froze.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let's see. I suggested I stand there with with a cig lighther, waiving it back and forth near the locks. I suggested the hair dryer on the extension. I suggested I go out and scrape. And scrape and scrape and scrape. All suggestions received with a "That won't work" and a look that confirmed I have the intelligence of a pea.

So he is trapsing in and out pouring kettles of (cold) water on the lock areas. Brilliant, eh? It's 19 flipping degrees and is prolly freezing those kettles of water as soon as they hit the car.

Pssssshhhhh...

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay. He succeeded with the kettles of cold water. Dog food is in the house now.
And the peasants rejoiced! :laugh:

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh I forgot about the WD40 trick! And thanks for the link, RM.
Turns out it wasn't the locks that presented the problem but the ice surrounding the seal of the door!

Thanks very much, all. I really do appreciate it.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
If it was your locks that were frozen, a neat trick.. use your cig lighter on your key.. then stick the warm key into the lock.. works every time.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Glad to hear the problem is solved.

I was going to say, DON'T use a mallet. :laugh: :laugh:

Years ago we had a rash of bad ice storms here in SE PA. They routinely left 1" or more of ice coating the cars. Obviously ice scrapers were inside the cars, so one day I had the brilliant (NOT!!!) idea of using my father's rubber mallet to thwack the ice, figuring it would shatter and slide off the car.

Well it worked just fine, except for the residual dents in the car body from where I thwacked it with the mallet. :surprise: :surprise:

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Lexis Mom said:
Glad to hear the problem is solved.

I was going to say, DON'T use a mallet. :laugh: :laugh:

Years ago we had a rash of bad ice storms here in SE PA. They routinely left 1" or more of ice coating the cars. Obviously ice scrapers were inside the cars, so one day I had the brilliant (NOT!!!) idea of using my father's rubber mallet to thwack the ice, figuring it would shatter and slide off the car.

Well it worked just fine, except for the residual dents in the car body from where I thwacked it with the mallet. :surprise: :surprise:
YIKES..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts