Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you know that how I came across Happy.

When I got my first apartment four years ago I immediately went out looking for a dog. I wanted a boxer. I grew up with a darling boxer named Boots, she was my best friend for 10 great years of my childhood. I wanted another boxer and wanted my child to experience that joy. I had always fancied myself a more 'mastiff' style kind of dog person. Rotties, boxers and such. Well I spent the whole day going across mid Missouri visiting shelters and rescues looking for my new puppy. I had decided I wanted a puppy to grow up with Phoenix.
After a long and fruitless and exhausting search I stopped at a rescue for my final look before heading home which was 45 minutes away still. As I walked in and told the lady what I was looking for, she told me they didn't have any boxers at this time, but she strongly urged me to look at their other dogs. I'd been doing that all day, dern it. I agreed to take a quick look and then return home empty handed. As I walked in there was an adorable little mountain cur mix puppy. She had my attention. She was darling and she'd get big, I knew I had to have a big dog. As I knelt down to pet her I hear a *thump thump thump* *thump thump thump* coming from at the end of the room.
Curious I started walking down that way. At the very end of the room in this little bitty kennel was a GORGEOUS GOLDEN LAB. He was holding his food bowl in his mouth and as I neared his whole body started to wiggle his tail thumping wildly against the walls of his kennel. He bounced slightly as I stood in front of him. Lifting his front legs off the floor in anticipation. I chuckled and kneeled down in front of him saying "Well look at you!"
I slipped inside his kennel with him and petted him and talked to him, that tail never quit moving. I stood up and told him "I'll be right back, I'm not leaving without you."
I marched back to the front and told them I wanted the Golden Lab at the back. The woman was just thrilled! Ten minutes later he was climbing into my Mustang with me, instantly shedding all over the upholstery! They had named him KONGO because he loved his Kong so much. I looked at him and said "Your name is Happy! Anybody who has lived the life you have (I received what history they had on him before we left and it WAS NOT PRETTY) and can still bang that tail against a little cage deserves the name of Happy!! We went to petco and then headed home for our new life together. I even bought him a collar that had smiley faces all over it...which he shredded a few days later.
Labs had never even been an option I had considered, yet here was my new best friend sitting in my lap. He turned out to be the perfect match for me, there was just something about him that made me get him after only knowing him for a minute. He only tried to potty in the house once, I caught him hiking that leg towards my couch and I said "ACK! You do that OUTSIDE!" and he did and never even tried to go in the house!!
A year later we somehow ended up with ANOTHER LAB! How did that happen?! I still didn't really consider my a Lab kinda of person. Happy was the exception because he was just SOOO amazing! Lucky was suppose to be a Border Collie for Phoenix for Christmas! He wanted to stop and look at these Lab puppies though..we were there about 2 minutes. We walked in saw them, he picked up the most rolly polliest biggest of the litter and promptly walked back to the car with her. I said "Well I guess we're getting her!"
A few months after we got Lucky I started to realize "hmm maybe I do like this breed, they have been such a wonderful addition to our family!"
Three years later I went looking for a chocolate girl to round out the family, we somehow ended up with a black boy!
So I went from being a Boxer kinda of girl to a girl that was the proud owner of 3 labs!!

So I have to say thank you to Happy to helping me realize what kind of girl I really am! He has been a constant joy in my life and I regret nothing! :)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
What a great story!

In some respects that is how we got Eddie. SU saw him in the end cage and his was wagging his tail thump, thump, thump. When they took him out for us to see, he was immediately all over us - take me home, I love you, take me home, I love you. To this day his tail never stops wagging, except when it is bath time, thump, thump, thump.....and he is still all over us!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
That was such a fun story to read! I had not considered myself a lab person until I got my Daisy, either. Heck, my fiance and I were looking at Newfoundlands (well, a person could debate I was destined to be a lab person based on that fact.)

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
What a wonderful story, thanks for sharing. :D :D :D :D (those are for Happy)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts