Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm I just getting old and grumpy or what! O.k I know the answer;) Is it totally not expected that you send Thank yous for gifts received anymore? I'm talking gifts for weddings, showers, or any gift for that matter! I have been to 2 weddings and 2 showers, one wedding and one baby, in the last 6 months. Two were for my nephews, one was for a niece, one was for my nephews soon to be wife - the bridal shower before the wedding. None not one Thank you card- maybe its just DH's family;) We have the wedding coming up this weekend, I would never not give a gift, but it really leaves a bad taste. Maybe I'm just weird this way and am expecting to much. I would never not acknowledge a gift that someone gave me- your feelings?

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I think for the events you described (including graduations) thank you cards are still in order! I did thank yous for all of the gifts we received at our wedding in 2004. Also if you send a gift to someone long distance, it would be nice to get a card in acknowledgement. Denny and I got a thank you from the last wedding we attended (a reception, actually).

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
I think written thank you notes should be sent. I know I got a few from my baby shower out late though (like a couple of months after the baby). I was so busy in the month between the shower and when she was born, and then just exhausted afterwards. It sure would be a lot easier if the men would help out with them (at least mine didn't).

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
i don't think thank you cards are old fashioned. i taught my daughter to send them as well. being polite is never old fashioned.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My biggest concern was one of the gifts was a gift card- it was in a basket with others, I hope they got it. I'll let it go now, it did help to vent- Thx's :)

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I believe in sending Thank you notes...so much so that I help the adults I teach (they have Autism) to make cards, we sell them. A pack of hand painted cards, 10 for $5.00. The adults (that can) write them for EVERYTHING!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe in sending Thank you notes...so much so that I help the adults I teach (they have Autism) to make cards, we sell them. A pack of hand painted cards, 10 for $5.00. The adults (that can) write them for EVERYTHING!
What a cool idea! I always have an assortment of them at home, just in case- I'm with Kelli, being polite shouldn't be Old Fashion. Hey maybe its there parents fault- come to think about only one of DH's siblings sends them, his Mom never has! Hmmm I think we found the culprit;) :D

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I don't think you're old fashioned. I write thank you notes for everything. I just finished one to my friend's parents for letting us stay with them and use their car when we were in Kentucky last weekend. Next up is one for my grandmother and uncle for the birthday gifts.

I think it's just polite, and I did get upset when not one of SO's family members wrote us thank you notes for gifts received for Christmas and birthdays. Now I know that's just not how they were raised, but I still write them thank you's (maybe it will rub off?)...

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Not getting thank you cards used to really bother me. Not sure why. Its not like I gave the gift or did the good deed for the thank you. But I guess because I was always raised to put a thank you in writting that it just irked me. Plus I like to know that it arrived! Less and less people bother with thank you cards anymore or even thank you emails. Now its just to where I dont even think about getting them. Old fashioned or not, I cant imagine not sending a thank you but I even admit I've over looked a few thank yous before.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I appreciate them. However, since I was raised by my dad (no female influence from a dad who was born in the 1920's), I TRULY was unaware that "Thank-you" notes even existed until my nieces wrote them many, many years later).

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I agree with you. I still send thank you cards & I think people should send them for wedding, showers etc. Maybe I am old fashioned too but I think it is just good etiquette.

I send thank you notes, like a friend at work & her hubby are wine fanciers & they had a few of us over to their home for a wine tasting evening. They had several cheeses & 4 wines to taste. Her husband made bananas foster for all of us. It was a great evening. I sent them a thank you note.

I don't give a gift expecting to be thanked but it is a nice touch to get a thank you card. :)

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Ok, I am a guy and even I know you should send Thank Yous for gifts received for these types of occasions. I am not the most etiquette oriented person, but I would feel like the recipient didn't have any manners if I gave a gift for something like this. It's just not right.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I am a guy and even I know you should send Thank Yous for gifts received for these types of occasions. I am not the most etiquette oriented person, but I would feel like the recipient didn't have any manners if I gave a gift for something like this. It's just not right.
Thanks for the male point of veiw Guy- I'm proud to know that DS also sends Thank you cards! Someone raised you/him right;):D

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
I sent thankyou's out after our engagement and people had them in their mail boxes within the week! I am big on thankyou cards and I feel that they are a necessity for a formal event such as a wedding/baby shower/engagement/even birthday!!

My Step Sister got married last September and they didnt send back thankyou's after the wedding. I was so mad!!

So yes Di, even in Australia - thank you cards are the norm!!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I sent thankyou's out after our engagement and people had them in their mail boxes within the week! I am big on thankyou cards and I feel that they are a necessity for a formal event such as a wedding/baby shower/engagement/even birthday!!

My Step Sister got married last September and they didnt send back thankyou's after the wedding. I was so mad!!

So yes Di, even in Australia - thank you cards are the norm!!
Maybe I should forward this thread to DH's side of the family- :D:D

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Am I just old fashion?
No you're just old! :D:D

The easiest way to deal with ignorance like this is simply not to bother with them. Take them off your birthday & xmas card lists & make yourself unavailable for any of their occasions that involve gift giving & thank yous. After a while they MIGHT get the hint but I wouldn't be holding my breath. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Well, you might be getting old and grumpy ;), but Thank-you cards are still in order for everything you mentioned. Hand-written, thank-you cards! We sent a baby gift to one of SU's nieces (lives far aways) about 2 months ago and never even heard whether they got it or not. Of course if they didn't get it, that might be why we didn't hear about it......guess I'll have to ask the mom..... My favorite answer to my step-daughter whenever she would ask if she had to write a thank-you note for something was "it's never wrong to write one". That goes for most "polite behavior" - it's never wrong to do it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Thank you cards are definitely important. I still feel bad that I never sent the thank you cards after my wedding. I was in the middle of getting them all written out after our honeymoon when I broke my neck in a car wreck and it was just impossible to write cards. My new hubby was no help at all, even though most of the ones left to write were for HIS family and friends, and I didn't want to send some and not others so as not to offend people that received theirs later. By the time I was well enough to do them it seemed like too much time hand passed so I never even sent the ones I'd already written out. They would only have been about 9 months late and people would have understood my circumstances, so I wish I had just finished the job because I'll always feel guilty now.

I don't know if it's maybe a generational thing, but the only person I've not had a thank you card from (sent a present for her new baby and gave a present at the baptism as well) is Generation Y. All my other friends are Gen X.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.