Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So....Guthrie hurt his leg on Sunday and for the past several days has been taking things very, very easy and getting aspirin twice a day. Things are looking good but he is not very happy about missing his long morning walks and even more upset about not getting to play with his soccer ball.

My aunt and my cousin arrived for a visit yesterday and were informed of his injury and restrictions.

Well tonight I arrived home from worok to see Guthrie at the back door...huge panting tongue hanging out of his mouth....dirt on his legs!!!! I was like WTF!! My mom informs me that my cousin(who is 50+) took him for a walk without a leash(OR A COLLAR) around our block! My head was spinning I was so upset. My mom said she had no idea he had taken Guthrie off the property. I know she was upset too.

How could someone take someones dog off their property without a leash??? I am shocked that Guthrie followed him across the invisble fence line without a leash. He has NEVER, EVER been off leash outside of our yard.

Thank God he did not hurt his injured leg. Thank God he did not get run over. Thank God he did not run away. Thank God he did not get ripped apart by the vicious German Shepherd down the street.
THANK GOD for looking out for my boy!!!!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I am so happy Guthrie is okay. Is there anyway you can make sure this does not happen again? I also hope his leg gets better soon! :)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Moron ! Every family has one but having said that, I would never trust an invisible fence !
Isnt' that the truth....I'd make one tiny change in your statement though. I witnessed my last lab dig under a 6 foot fence while i was visiting a friend...he'd have been under that thing in less than a minute if I had not been right there to stop him.

No one should EVER trust a fence, invisible or otherwise. Dogs need to be supervised with whatever containment system you choose.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I'm sorry, but a 50+ year old should know better. You told the cousin about the injuries and restrictions and the cousin should have respected that. I'd be livid. Maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
What an idiot!! I'd be reading the riot act to this one.

I'm glad he's okay and didn't hurt his leg any more.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am so happy Guthrie is okay. Is there anyway you can make sure this does not happen again? I also hope his leg gets better soon! :)
The moral of the story is that you can't trust people or fences! My cousin KNEW he was on restricted activity...he witnessed me taking him out on the leash the whole time he was here.
Believe me though...my cousin will never do that again but I(and my mom) will be thinking twice before ever letting Guthrie out with someone other than ourselves.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Oh Megan!!! I would have been FURIOUS!!!!! Thank god Guthrie is safe and sound, and didn't injure himself further. Off property without a leash or collar is my biggest nightmare.

Someone was watching over Gutherie yesterday, that's for sure.

(((((HUGS)))))

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
If the cousin was 7 or 8, that might be excusable. But this was an adult? That was irresponsible and just plain stupid and dangerous! If it were me, that cousin would be now walking home with his butt up around his shoulders and my footprints all over it!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
OMG :eek: My stomach got a huge knot just reading your post. I am so glad that Guthrie is OK and did not hurt his leg again. I think I would have come unglued at the cousin. An adult should have more sense of responsibility, especially with someone else's dog. We are sending good thoughts for Guthrie's leg to heal up soon. :)

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Just what did your cousin have to say for him/her self? What possessed them to do such a thing?

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I'm glad Guthrie's leg is okay. Another bad thing is now Guthrie knows he can cross the invisible fence and go have fun. I'd be afraid of him trying it on his own now.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Isnt' that the truth....I'd make one tiny change in your statement though. I witnessed my last lab dig under a 6 foot fence while i was visiting a friend...he'd have been under that thing in less than a minute if I had not been right there to stop him.

No one should EVER trust a fence, invisible or otherwise. Dogs need to be supervised with whatever containment system you choose.
Mostly true as I wouldn't leave my dogs in the garden unsupervised even though it is fenced, but I find that if I'm inside the house then so are they through choice!

I would be amazed if Jasper found the energy to dig a hole big enough for his fat little body !

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Wow, isn't it amazing how stupid some people can be. That being said, I'm afraid I'd have gone ballistic on that nut. Of all the nerve especially after he was told of the restrictions. I'd be minus a cousin.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
!!!!

Oh. My. Gosh. I would be flipping out too!!

Grrrr. Just grrrr.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts