Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally caught an episode of this show, and while it's no Who's Line, it was okay for what it was.

The judging can go -- as can David Allen Grier. They're both completely unnecessary.

When the actors throw themselves completely into the scenes, it is very funny. When they hold back.. eh... not so funny. Last night, Brian Posehn was godawful. Jason Alexander was okay in the Star Trek parody, but he was mugging too much. He was better as a Yiddish pirate.

Jane Lynch (teenager caught throwing a party while her parents were gone) and Harland Williams (British adventurer back from the island of Illinois) were BRILLIANT!

I did enjoy the four of them as day-care workers. Good stuff!

There's an episode on tomorrow night with George Takei. And then next Monday's regular installment features Paul Rodriguez.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I am totally digging this show myself Dweck. I missed it this week, but I watched both episodes last week and loved it.

I have to like Dave Foley, he's Canadian.

True Story:

I worked with his brother Glenn, at the Millcroft for year. Glenn was totally the opposite of his brother in many ways. But funny too. Anyways, Glenn wore these glasses that were super big and tinted yellow. He also wore a sports band to keep them on his head. Us kitchen "guys", are a sick lot. We nickname people. Glenn's nickname to us, was "Goggles". (I did not pick this name fyi) One day, after about 6 months of secretly referring to Glenn as Goggles, I said to him "Hey Glenn, do you mind if we just call you Goggles? He laughed, and said "Can't it be something cooler like Fernando?" I totally stuck my foot in my mouth at this point "Naw," I said "It's gotta be goggles - besides, it's not like you actually wear those things outside of work....". Turns out he did..... Whoops.

Nother true story. Glenn used to call his 76 year old mother on Friday afternoons and tell her to go get him a case of beer and put some in the fridge so when he got home, there'd be a cold one waiting for him.

Funny story. A year and a half after Goggles left, Easter rolls back around. We are all reminiscing about guys long gone and what not. We talk about Goggles. I get this idea to go buy yellow swim goggles for the 6 of us who are working the next morning. I pass them all out Easter Sunday, and we wait for Chef to get on the other side of the pass to start calling orders. He comes up from the fridges, tells us he'll be right there, hang on, goes to his office, and comes back. We all have our backs to him, heads in fridge etc, at this point, so when he gets on the line, calls the first order, we swing full face around in our yellow swim goggles and yell in unison "Oui, Chef!". He was laughing so hard he choked. Classic. Good times.....

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
That is so cool you know Dave Foley's brother! COOL! I was a BIG Kids in the Hall fan. Dave Foley was far and away my favorite. I wonder if that's on DVD anywhere? That would be a great present for my sister. We watched them religiously. "I'm crushing your head!" :D I'm going to check out Amazon next!!

But I am going to have to agree with dweck....I have no idea what purpose he or David Allan Grier serves, except to disrupt the flow of the show :-[

I also LOVE Jane Lynch. She was hysterical in Best in Show, as was the entire cast of course, and also fantastic in A Mighty Wind. I thought she was her best in the car dealer scene. "Oh that's our navigational device." ROFLMBO!

But I thought they stuck her with a character that was not really her. She can do a lot of things well, but teenage girl in trouble with her parents would not be one of them. That's more of, say, a Gilda Radner thing. You know what I mean? Jane Lynch is too...I dunno...barbed? for that.

I didn't see all of his skit, but I LOVED Harland Williams! He was the evening's best, IMO. VERY quick!

I love Whose Line, so I like this show too. But improv is an art unto itself, that's for sure, and not everyone can do it. You really have to admire the Whose Line crew. I have such a hard time picking a favorite on that show. They are all extremely talented.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Connie - What was your favorite Who's Line game? I laughed 'til it hurt when they did Film Dub. For some reason, the cheesy movies + the sharp wits just folded me in half. I was a loon when they'd do Film Dub....

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I watched this the first week and thought it was painfully awful. I was embarassed for the actors. Poor Dave Foley looked like he wanted to be sure the check cleared before he left.

I was actually surprised when they didn't cancel it before the second week.

Is it really worth a second look?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Yep, I think film dub was one of my favorites too!!

Maybe because I used to date a guy who did that. No kidding. He was just as quick as the Whose Line guys too. :D We would all gather at someone's house and turn on an old b&w Japanese Godzilla movie or old spaghetti western or whatever, and turn Mark loose. He would have us begging for mercy, our stomachs hurt from laughing so hard!

Let's see, what else is funny on that show...sometimes party guest is funny. :p Do you remember the one where Ryan was doing a baby horse being born? HAHAHA!

Honestly, I cannot pick a favorite between Ryan, Colin and Wayne. They are all totally amazing. I love Ryan's physical comedy, I love Colin's dry wit and deadpan delivery, and Wayne, well, he's multi-talented and so endearing, the way he gets tickled at the others. :D

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank God - I'd give it another chance. I didn't see the premier(s), but last night's would get a solid B from me.

Who's Line - I just wish the cast got to do more different things. I hated, for example, that in Newscasters, Wayne was ALWAYS the sportsguy and Ryan was ALWAYS the weatherguy.

And the songs always belonged to Wayne. I love, for example, watching COLIN try to struggle with lyrics. Much funnier because he's so bad at it.

I like the main four, but also enjoy Brad Sherwood and Chip Esten. And from the British version, I always thought Sandy Tocksvig was hilarious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts