Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had a great idea. My boyfriend and I were going to play tennis at a nearby court and since it is entirely enclosed, I thought it would be fun to bring Chance. He had a great time chasing after the balls we missed (most of them), but then he stopped and layed down in a puddle which seemed strange. Then I noticed he was limping. I checked him all over and my heart sank when I saw the pads of his paws. There were three spots where the rough layer of skin was peeled back and just barely hanging on. Another spot appeared to be split but wasn't loose. And his claws were shorter than I had ever seen them. He has been limping for the past day and I feel terrible. I talked to the vet and all we can do is try to keep him from licking his feet so that they'll heel. She said it's a little like getting a blister. But Chance is the toughest dog I've known, and for him to limp, it must be pretty bad. I feel terrible and I just wanted to warn everyone about how rough the surface of a tennis court can be on our furry friends feet.

K

·
0 Posts
We have to be careful with any kind of running that Maggie has because her pads rip off.
Maggie ripped both her front foot and back foot of the same side. We were going to see the vet the next morning (It was late in the evening when we were running). They wrapped her feet to keep her from licking them or getting something else in there.. The front foot didnt last very long and I ended up running and getting some new stuff to wrap it

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Labs are very stoic and if Chance is anything like Murray there is no way you would have known he was hurting until after the fact. Murray is a retrieving fool. I've been told he would still try to work/retrieve even with all 4 of his legs cut off. ;)

Don't worry...the pads heal quickly. Murray ripped dimed sized pieces (diameter and thickness) on all 4 of his paws just before a big show. He was in so much pain that he would actually collapse from the pain when he stepped wrong. It was very sad. :'( Thankfully, he was significantly better within about 3 days.

Personally I wouldn't wrap them. The air will dry them out which is what you want. Try to limit the licking when you can but otherwise don't worry about it when you can't. The pieces hanging off will dry out and eventually fall off in a few days. You don't need to do anything to them unless they are very bothersome in which case you can take hin to the vet and they will cut the pieces off. My vet prefers to just let nature take care of it if possible though.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I used to take Mocha to the tennis courts to retreive all the time when I lived in an apartment. Luckily she never had any problems but I did try to watch her paw pads as I knew another person in the complex with a lab who did have paw pad issues.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it has to do with the surface - some tennis courts just have a paved surface, but then there are others that are much more abrasive. And Chance runs and stops hard and fast.
Thanks for the advice. I picked up some baby socks that I'm going to put on his feet when he goes outside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts