Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much green beans should I use?

He was eating 3c daily. I cut him to 2 1/2c daily begining of May.

Now I hate to cut back to much more, so I cut out 1/4 of his morning meal and used a half can green beans. Just the one meal. The second meal is
1 1/4c kibble.

Is that too much beans? Not enough food? Too much food with the filler?

What do you do?

I know every dog is different, just need some insight. TIA!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
First of all canned green beans are high in sodium so wash them for a little while to rinse out as much sodium as you can. If this is for weight loss what we did was cut the dog food in half & supplement the other half with green beans. Your better off going to the store & but frozen cut green beans or buy fresh cook-cut up and freeze the rest cause they can go sour. defrost as needed.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I did buy the "no salt added" green beans. And buying frozen is a great idea...thanks again!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Also, if this is for weight loss, I cut my feedings down by 20%, and cut out all dog treats.
The boys now get 1 2/3 cup of food twice a day and for snacks or treats they only get cucumbers, carrots, fresh green beans, snow pea pods, etc.
Also they get apple slices, banana, and berries when I have them.

Baxter has lost 8 lbs. since 4/27/09. He was 91.5 lbs and just yesterday weighed in at 83.3 pds.
Mason weight 92 pds and just yesterday weighed 89 pounds. He is taller than Baxter and lost a total of 3 lbs since 4/27/09. He is only 18 months so still growing.

This is what has worked for me and the boys are just as happy with the treats they are getting. I say, "cucumber," and they come running!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I buy the 5 lb. bags of whole green string beans at Sam's Club; think they're a little over $1/lb.

I cook several days worth at one time and then add as needed to Puff's evening meal.

She gets about 1 cup (cooked) to 1 cup kibble + 1 cooked small slice salmon (small slice = about 1/2 a normal slice of bacon).

Puff is a small Lab, 63 lbs./28.5 kg.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
You can use the salted green beans, just rinse them. I place my fingers over the top of the opened can and let the liquid drain between my fingers, then fill with water and drain three more times. The unsalted always cost more than salted. :(

Frozen are a great idea, too. I buy those when they are on sale.

Recently we had an oops when we went to Aldi's for beans, and got the french cut kind. I think they work even better, because it takes the boys longer to eat them and there seems to be more in their dish. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts