Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It really is incredible... My first computer had a 350 Mhz processor. It had an 8.1 Gb hard drive. It was about 2 1/2 feet tall and just as deep. That was roughly ten years ago.

Yesterday I went out and bought a cell phone with a 512 mhz processor and a memory card smaller than my pinky fingernail that holds 16 Gb of memory. I wonder what I'll have in ten more years?

I LOVE technology! :)

Kevin

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Ya, except when I was in college, computers were kept in large rooms, and IF you were lucky you could sign up to get on a keyboard at 2:00 a.m. My grandmother? Born when planes were a novelty!

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Ya, except when I was in college, computers were kept in large rooms, and IF you were lucky you could sign up to get on a keyboard at 2:00 a.m. My grandmother? Born when planes were a novelty!
First computor I met took up 1/4th of the 4th floor of an insurance building I cleaned in HS. The operator who wore a jacket, because of the temp, was the brother of a friend and even lifted one of the sections of the floor and showed me a bundle of wires maybe 6 inches in diameter. BTW I kept a dial phone, a Bell 500 hooked up till I gave up the land line 2 years ago, reason, it was clearer to listen on than any of these modern ones, carbon microphones.;)

Some new tech is better, not all of it is.;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I can honestly say that I can't think of one piece of equipment I had 20 years ago that is superior to that of today. I traded my 400 CD collection that took up roughly 5 shelves to house for an ipod I can fit in my pocket. My '68 Mustang was a dream and I love it still, but it was also uncomfortable, noisy, and got about the same mileage as a semi does today. If I were to list all of the features on that new phone I was bragging about, they would take up an entire room in the 70's, that is the ones that existed. Imagine telling someone then about GPS! No thanks, I'll take new technology any day of the week.

In 1975, if I wanted to know the specifications of a Laird Super Solution (a 1930's racing airplane), I would have to go to the library and hope they had something on racing planes in general. About the best I could have hoped for is to come across a chapter in a book somewhere or an encyclopedia. If not, I would have to go find a magazine and if not there then I would have to find and order a book and pay for it. Today I can pull out my cell phone and have the info in about three minutes. If I can't find the info on the web, there are plenty of aviation boards where I can ask other enthusiasts, pilots, professionals within the industry, historians, or whatever.

However, if I love the technology, the devices themselves are cheaply made and pretty much junk. That fancy cell phone is toast if I drop it on the cement even once. The cars of today fall apart if you look at them wrong. Everything is built with the mentality of 'replace it, don't fix it' and THAT is not an improvement. The dvd drive on my laptop was knocked a little out of skew and when I took it in to see if it could be fixed, the tech looked at me like I was crazy. His answer was to order a new drive.

Anyone who has a problem with technology would do well to read a book called 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.' by Robert Pirsig. It has very little to do with Zen or Motorcycles, and deals with the inability of modern society to come to grips with technology and why that happens.

Didn't mean to go and get serious; it just happened. Must be one of those nights :)

Kevin

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
The rifle I bought new in 1982 will be able to be passed on to my grandson. A model no longer made, the design dates to the 1890's and will still do anything a more modern design will do, except be part made of plastic. My favorite shotgun made in 1976 will most likely with any care at all be running long after me and any of my Labs that are in the future are around.

I prefer to buy "extra durable merchandise.";)

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Here's what I can't figure out...

all this technology, and we are still flying space shuttles designed and built in the 1980's.

Go figure.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts

all this technology, and we are still flying space shuttles designed and built in the 1980's.

Go figure.
Here's my question: We're flying outdated shuttles to a space station that will be shut down and re-orbited in 2016 due to lack of money. Why are we spending the money to continue the program till 2016. Just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Go figure.
The really sad part is that with all this technology, next year we start paying Russia $50 million dollars per astronaut for a ride to the space station...

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I like technology also. But I think we have become way to dependent on it. It scares me that students (many anyway) cannot seem to add two and two without the use of a calculator. I'm not talking about a complex mathematical operation.

It amazes me that when I go through a checkout line and give the clerk cash, they have to enter it in before they know how much change to give. Once, I gave the clerk a $10 bill. He gave me change for a $20. When I called him on it, he insisted the computer was correct. I finally convinced him he gave me too much change. :rolleyes:

I am as guilty of relying on technology too much. If the computer won't work right...ipod battery is spent, same for cell phone...when the light bulb burned out inexpectedly while teaching a class, good thing I knew how to do the chalk and talk routine. PowerPoint is great but when it goes out ya gotta have a backup plan!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Technology is fine. I'm like others and love to have all the world at my fingertips. But there are things that the creation of technology has allowed that I don't like.

Pro: I love having a wealth of information with a click of the mouse.
Con: The library is an excellent place to explore! People are actually seeing other people at the library. A person might actually have a face to face conversation with another human.

Pro: Cell phones are great ways to relay "important" information anytime and almost anywhere.

Cons: Some people have no idea what is "important" and call just because they can.

Pros: Texting. It's nice to have someone text you a string of information that can easily be referenced later. addresses, numbers etc.

Cons: this little piece of technological is totally abused. People spend more time silently texting each other when they should be working,driving or just flat paying attention to the task at hand. It's like whispering to another in presence of others. It's rude.

Pros: Video games. a great way to while away a rainy afternoon.
Cons: There are large segments of our population that never,ever go outside and get a little exercise. Childhood obesity is at an alarming rate and growing. Secondly, all the imagination is left to some code writer. It's amazing the imagination kids would use prior to video games. What a child could do with a cardboard box and some crayons.

Pros: Navigational GPS. I use it regularly. My job requires me to travel and it is extremely helpful in getting to a new location:

Cons: I tend to rely to heavily on the GPS. Mentally I don't "record" landmarks and figure where I am. I let the girl do all the work.

Technology is great, it'sthe use of technology that needs work.

I just hope we don't become a society of obese, lazy,unimaginative socially awkward introverts with unchallenged immune systems due to the lack of participating in an environment outside of the house.

oops! might already be happening

1 - 10 of 10 Posts