Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting really frustrated with one of my guys. He refuses to ride with no training wheels. I know I shouldn't be upset about it or force it but it's wearing me down. His twin learned how last year and my daughter learned at the same age.

We have some incentives going that he's absolutely thrilled about but they don't do anything to get past this. Are there any really good incentives that I should offer? He gets to ride in the street when the training wheels are off (we're in a circle) and we have a planned bike ride to take when everyone can control their bikes.

·
Registered
601 Posts
That's a toughie, I just got told by Phoenix "take my wheels off!" when it was time.

Is he scared that he'll fall down?

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Have some of his friends over for a little bike riding (if they are riding without training wheels). Nothing like a little peer pressure to motivate.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have some of his friends over for a little bike riding (if they are riding without training wheels). Nothing like a little peer pressure to motivate.
He gets a little disappointed but then he rides on the sidewalk or abandons it altogether and does some other activity.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I think that may be part of it. We armor him up with elbow and knee pads but the minute he gets to the bike, he starts crying and says no.

Can't the wheels be adjusted up so that they are not touching but will help if he tilts over to one side or the other?

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Other than that - I would try to make it less of a focus. If he is so scared, pressure is not going to make him more confident. I am sure the training wheels will come off at some point when he is darn good and ready.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't have any answer but I have to share a story about my son (who is now 23) when he was four-five years old. I had purchased a bike for him and he refused to ride it. After two years of it sitting in our apartment, I took it outside one day and ONE THE GRASS, put him on the bike and held on while he was pedaling. The entire time he was on the bike, he was screaming at the top of us lungs "CALL THE POLICE, MY MOM IS MAKING ME RIDE MY BIKE!" He did this over and over until I let him stop. I do remember that after that, when he saw his friend riding his bike, he did decide to try again and he was more cooperative, but the whole screaming incident just sticks in my mind to this day.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Other than that - I would try to make it less of a focus. If he is so scared, pressure is not going to make him more confident. I am sure the training wheels will come off at some point when he is darn good and ready.
Oh, golly, I very STRONGLY agree. Plus you can easily make this into a contest in which not only you lose but he does, too. What if you insist and he falls off and breaks his arm and never wants to ride a bike again?

I recommend finding some way of removing it from the you want/he's afraid issue.

Maybe say, "you know what? Maybe you're not ready yet for that. People grow into those things at different times and you'll be ready for that later. Maybe you're more of a roller skate (or scooter) guy.... would you like to try one of those?"

·
Registered
601 Posts
The entire time he was on the bike, he was screaming at the top of us lungs "CALL THE POLICE, MY MOM IS MAKING ME RIDE MY BIKE!" .
bwahahahahaha

Were you embarrassed or were you laughing while he was screaming?

Whenever Phoenix or a friends kid would crash I would say "Are you bleeding? Did you break anything? Do I need to amputate?!"

Of course the answer was always a 'no' with a slight giggle by my exaggerated voice then I would reply "Well obviously you didn't do it right! Go do it again!"

The higher training wheels seem like a good idea. If his twin can't get him to do it, I don't see any friends pressuring him into it. He just might not be ready yet. Would he feel better in the grass? My cousins use to hold on to the seat of my bike then secretly let go then hold on again before I caught on. By the time I realized what they were doing I was riding my bike all on my own. :)

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
With both of my girls it wasn't an issue. We just took them to the tennis court & let them try while we held the backs of their bikes until they "got it". If they became frustrated, we we just stopped. No incentives, no pressure. They got it on their own after a few attempts. =)

No one rides with training wheels forever. It shouldn't be a big deal, or a point of frustration for you. When he's ready, he'll do it. =)

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Our neighborhood isn't very conducive to learning how to ride a bicycle. So one summer when Riley spent some time with my parents and took his bicycle, my dad and my brother, who lives near my parents, taught him. I know - I totally cheated!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Oh, golly, I very STRONGLY agree. Plus you can easily make this into a contest in which not only you lose but he does, too. What if you insist and he falls off and breaks his arm and never wants to ride a bike again?
You know we had a similiar incident with Phoenix on that.

His second day of kindergarten he was at recess and he fell off the monkey bars and broke his little wrist. I can honestly say that was the worst day of my life!!

He's in 4th grade this fall and we STILL can't get him to go across those dern things very much.

Shane's tried to force the issue and he's tried to offer him rewards for doing it.

Phoenix will go across the bars if you're holding him. You can even let go some times, but he wants you there with him. I figure he'll decide to do it on his own one of these days. His teachers say he even makes one of the teachers on recess duty hold his legs while he goes across. :D

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I think I'd just let it go. At some point it'll start to bother him that everybody else is riding and he's not, and he'll learn. I wouldn't even do the incentives thing; it makes too big a deal out of it. I think it's a pick your battles kind of thing.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I think I'd just let it go. At some point it'll start to bother him that everybody else is riding and he's not, and he'll learn. I wouldn't even do the incentives thing; it makes too big a deal out of it. I think it's a pick your battles kind of thing.
Ditto.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts