Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad's been teaching and coaching golf for 25 years to kids and adults. This year he allowed ages 5-18 in the Youth Golf Clinic that began Monday and lasts through next Friday.

I've been golfing since I was 8 (23 years now-- OOF!) and have been helping with the clinic since I was in high school. Now I'm a co-coach and today was my turn with the ittie bitties. A 5 year old girl, 6 year old boy and 8 year old boy. In previous years, the age minimum was 7 with parent consent, but these little ones were very eager, and that's the age my brother (who played college golf and carries a very low handicap) started, so Dad caved in.

I specialize in the middle/high school kids (my teaching area too), but my 3rd and 4th year kiddos in that age group are ready to go out on their own, so it was my turn on the course with the wee ones.

Oh, My, Gosh. They're so CUTE! But we started 40 yards out from each green and just remembering our clubs and a ball was a big accomplishment. I got worn out immediately.

I miss golf though. A membership isn't in my budget right now, so the demonstration shots that I'm using with the kiddos are about the extent of my play. The good news is I nailed my first demo shot after a year of no swings. . LOL.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I am sure it is exhausting, but you are very appreciated. Having some that knows and loves the game teach children to know and love the game is a Godsend. My kids have played in summer programs for years, and although I love to golf . . . teaching isn't my strong suit. Most of what they have learned, they have learned through summer programs.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL . . . today was fun :) We looked at butterflies and Mississippi Kites. . and we even hit a few balls :p.

They are very resilient and absorbent at this age. . . but the 100+ degree temps complicate things and keeping them hydrated is the biggest concern.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Not even going to say what I thought the title of this thread said.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts