Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Ah yes, making fun of people trying to be involved in the political process. Always amusing. It's like they didn't get the memo that we aren't allowed to question our leadership anymore.

There is just nothing better than a carefully edited man on the street interview.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
And when Liberal citizens were getting involved in the political process it was called unpatriotic.
Just a big general statement or are you going to back it up? How was it ever unpatriotic to work for your candidate, your beliefs or to vote?

If you could try to answer without a FOX news reference I'd be really impressed. Then I wouldn't have to throw MSNBC out there, and watch the circle go on indefinitely. Sorry, it's usually fun but I've got time constraints today.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
OMG... Daily show made fun of someone... stop the presses!

Here is something for you... Colbert's lashing of Obama on denying habeaus corpus. Would have posted it earlier but it was kinda bumming me out just thinking about it.
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/224722/april-15-2009/obama-denies-habeas-corpus
Lindsey, you do this a lot. You post something that is clearly politically provacative and then when somebody responds, you say "I just thought it was funny" as if you were unaware it would get anybody riled up.

If you want to stir the pot, then stir it. Personally I kind of enjoy it.

I'd enjoy spending the afternoon on this but I've actually got to go be charming at a meeting where somebody might give us work, and that's all the challenge I can handle for one afternoon.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Ah yes, making fun of people trying to be involved in the political process. Always amusing. It's like they didn't get the memo that we aren't allowed to question our leadership anymore.

There is just nothing better than a carefully edited man on the street interview.
That memo [in effect from Jan 2001-Jan 2009] was rescinded during Obama's first week in office.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually... this was meant to be funny... believe it or not.

"do you know how hard it is to kill 30 million people? I mean the logistics alone!"

I really don't see it as a political statement. Making fun of extremists or people who are ill informed is funny no matter what "side" they are on.

Seriously though, it's hard to even know what side a lot of these tea party people are on. Seems like the message was all over the place.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Actually... this was meant to be funny... believe it or not.

"do you know how hard it is to kill 30 million people? I mean the logistics alone!"

I really don't see it as a political statement. Making fun of extremists or people who are ill informed is funny no matter what "side" they are on.

Seriously though, it's hard to even know what side a lot of these tea party people are on. Seems like the message was all over the place.
I laughed. Even when he made fun of NJ.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Just a big general statement or are you going to back it up? How was it ever unpatriotic to work for your candidate, your beliefs or to vote?
Surely you aren't serious. First of all, the issue is not working for a candidate or voting. The issue is a completely ridiculous metaphor in which a 3% tax increase (or indeed decreases for some) becomes the equivalent of tyranny. That's just lucidrous, and I challenge you or anyone else to defend it with reference to the American Revolution. Go ahead, try, I'm waiting.

And as for unpatriotic, believe me, I was at lots of antiwar protests in 2003 and I personally was called traitor, unpatriotic, etc., many times. So spare me the newfound concern for the value of dissent.

Dissent *is* patriotic. But don't think that if I think your brand of dissent is dumb that I'm not going to call you on it.

P.S. Going back to Jon Oliver's bit, I think the thing people don't appreciate about his humor is how hilariously self-depreciating it is. All the stuff about British colonialism was pure gold! ("We had thumbs. And we screwed them!")

Oh, and P.P.S. Heavily edited man-on-the-street interviews are what the Daily Show does! C'mon! I don't remember anyone complaining when Rob Riggle picked out the very stupidest, shrillest Berkeley citizens protesting the Marine recruiting station and held them up for ridicule. I certainly don't remember you defending Berkeley's honor, Robin. ;)

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Being serious for a moment, I have no problems with these rallies, even though I think the "tea party" metaphor is phony, a lie, and generally obfuscates more than it reveals. If this mobilizes people around a genuine set of principles, then that's fine. But honestly, Robin, how many people at these things are as well informed about libertarian principles and policy as you are? When you see these things on the news one gets the sense that it's more about just being against something and feeling good about making a lifestyle choice than about any actual substance. I.e., it's all theater. That's *exactly* the same thing I found so dismaying about a lot of the antiwar protests I went to. People had no idea what they wanted to propose. For so many people, it was just about being against something and identifying as a particular kind of person (someone who goes to antiwar rallies, for example).

·
Registered
342 Posts
Being serious for a moment, I have no problems with these rallies, even though I think the "tea party" metaphor is phony, a lie, and generally obfuscates more than it reveals. If this mobilizes people around a genuine set of principles, then that's fine. But honestly, Robin, how many people at these things are as well informed about libertarian principles and policy as you are? When you see these things on the news one gets the sense that it's more about just being against something and feeling good about making a lifestyle choice than about any actual substance. I.e., it's all theater. That's *exactly* the same thing I found so dismaying about a lot of the antiwar protests I went to. People had no idea what they wanted to propose. For so many people, it was just about being against something and identifying as a particular kind of person (someone who goes to antiwar rallies, for example).
sounds like people that got O into office too :D

·
Registered
342 Posts
this gave me the biggest laugh i've had today and maybe all week. thank you. *big smooch*
you would find that funny
that made your week sad
we wonder why jl people have no lives outside jl
but have so much to say about earth
:D

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
That pretty much sums up my issue with protests, in general. It seems that they tend to hurt the credibility of any position, and it seems like protests of all varieties tend to attract a certain type of person. I think the anti-war protests did more to entrench people in their positions as opposed to actually engaging in constructive dialogue. I think some of these tax protests raise some very important questions - one of them being how in the hell are we going to afford all of this? Ironically, that's sort of lost since one of the alleged purposes is to oppose tax hikes that won't even affect them. On top of that, they look like fools, all dressed up and apparently not knowing what in the heck they're even protesting. The important issues are written off as ideas of the crazies or attacked and disguised as "jokes", or just being "funny." The right took anti-war protesters as a bunch of lunatics (probably more right than wrong), and that's just how these Teabaggers will be taken (probably more right than wrong). I guess I just violated my own rule for using "humor" to undermine them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts