Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTF!!! Is this the US or is it Russia? Why should we all get punished because people don't use better judgment in their food selections? If they want to be fat so be it. It is an individual right to eat what you want and now the government wants a say in that too? What the hell is going on in this world. Taxes upon taxes upon taxes. Why don't they worry about unemployment, health care or lack of it, senior citizen benefits instead of focusing on stupid things like additional tax on junk food. Ok I'm done:mmph::frusty::mad2:

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
WTF!!! Is this the US or is it Russia? Why should we all get punished because people don't use better judgment in their food selections?...
LOL You sound like me. And I can just hear Kole's comments on the subject every time they air a commercial about NYS wanting to tax soda. Are you sure we aren't related? :heh:

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
WTF!!! Is this the US or is it Russia? Why should we all get punished because people don't use better judgment in their food selections? If they want to be fat so be it. It is an individual right to eat what you want and now the government wants a say in that too? What the hell is going on in this world. Taxes upon taxes upon taxes. Why don't they worry about unemployment, health care or lack of it, senior citizen benefits instead of focusing on stupid things like additional tax on junk food. Ok I'm done:mmph::frusty::mad2:
They've done it with a lot of other things, folks who don't use those items don't care. Why not junk food, works for me, I don't eat much that could be called junk food. (Still searching for the tongue in cheek icon)

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
No different from taxes on cigaretes. If it makes more people eat more healthily - we will have savings on health care in the long run. It's one way to modify behavior.

In fact - the soda companies are running ads in this market telling everyone how they have taken the high calorie beverages out of the schools they service. When I was in school - they did not sell any soft drinks - just juice or milk. I don't like the idea of the kids consuming diet drinks anymore than drinks with sugar.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Tax the hell out of the crap, and make fresh produce cheaper! Half the reason people are in the shape they are is the crap is cheaper.
It's cheaper to produce and ship.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Our household would face financial hardship if they taxed junk food - especially Blue Bell ice cream and Doritos.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I think they should tax cable TV, folks sit around and watch it instead of doing productive things. That can make them obse also. Besides that I gave up cable TV years ago as a bad joke.

More taxes on alcohol also, no one needs it and many abuse it, I don't drink either.

Shall I keep on, most of us could make lists of things to tax we don't care about.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I'm with you T - tax the crap out of that stuff! And the diet soda too, it's not much better.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
With diabetes type 2 (and obesity) on the rise taxing junk food only makes sense. We tax alcohol and tobacco here, why not junk food? And like T said make fresh produce cheaper. Having said that I got a pineapple today for $2.99. It was fabulous.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
sounds good to me....this is in my line of thinking of the fair tax. you want it, you pay for it.
the things that are bugging me are the costs of EVERYTHING is being passed on to consumers. heck even marta is increasing their costs to ride the train/bus when a lot of those people riding don't have jobs or are not getting increases to pay more to ride.
my house insurance went up, county home taxes went up ... guess what...i did not get a raise this year folks....but you bet the county employees are getting their 401k's or whatever ya call them matched.
ok off my soap box....everything is just a mess!!!

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I agree, everything is going up up up, and I've not had a raise in TWO years. I'm in the hole, big time.

I've also heard that they are going to fine folks who are over their BMI. Won't that be fun. Luckily I'm not over my ideal BMI, but I know a lot of folks are. Who can afford to pay the fines??? Who will collect them??? Who will rat you out to whoever "them" is???

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I have no problem with them taxing it. I like wine- so if I buy it, I'll pay the taxes on it! One of the reasons I would love having a sales tax here- is its a fair tax, you buy crap you don't need, you pay for it. Problem is I don't think they will ever get it passed here : (

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Living in NYS we have taxed just about everything....twice. Guess what? Eventually you run out of things to tax. Do not fear though. We have fees and surcharges to implement. Taxes aren't enough so we levy a surcharge oh and a fee.

Get used to it folks. If you want the government to build this and fix that and make this better, provide this that and the other thing. Expect to pay more in taxes. Can't have both. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
sounds good to me....this is in my line of thinking of the fair tax. you want it, you pay for it.
the things that are bugging me are the costs of EVERYTHING is being passed on to consumers. heck even marta is increasing their costs to ride the train/bus when a lot of those people riding don't have jobs or are not getting increases to pay more to ride.
my house insurance went up, county home taxes went up ... guess what...i did not get a raise this year folks....but you bet the county employees are getting their 401k's or whatever ya call them matched.
ok off my soap box....everything is just a mess!!!
You sound like a liberal democrat. :crazy:

If the people consuming the good or service don't pay the total cost who should subsidize the consumer? The government? People who aren't riding the train?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I don't have a problem with it, to me it's not different than taxing smokes and booze. None of it is any good for you, so if you want it - you pay.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
What is being defined as 'junk food'? Sure, there are the easy things like candy and chips. Is popcorn a junk food? Peanuts? Pickles are really healthy... but what about if they're fried? Cheese is healthy. But fried mozarella sticks?? Bacon?

It all seems so arbitrary.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts