Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So every January... I start going crazy wanting my tax return information immediately so I can hurry up and get my return. This year especially as I have tuition again AND interest paid on student loans so I'm expecting enough of a return to pay for Cancun.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT MY INFORMATION so I can just fill out the forms already!

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I'm with you. It's not that I want the $ that bad, it's going in the bank. I just want to be done with it. It's this pain in the butt thing looming overhead, that I'd like to get rid of.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I'm MORE than ready for ours. We're paying off our car and getting rid of that $360 payment every month. Well, we're applying it to the house instead but still...the money is there if we need it for some reason.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
If you are getting that much money back Lindsay, you have too much withheld from your pay. Why are you letting the government use your money all year interest free?

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Ha
we don't file till October, and get our returns in December sometime. ***Rolls eyes***

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I think we've already filed for an extension. :)

Seriously, Lindsay, increase your exemptions and let your money work for you and not for the government. You've mentioned that you're working on getting credit card balances down; how much lower would they be right now if you'd put that cash against them and paid less in interest all year?

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Lindsay, Others have said it, I will relate my tax stategy. I want to owe the government $1000 when I file. I want their money for the year, not let them have my money. I put that money they will get in April into a small money market account and let it earn a few bucks over the course of the year.

If your witholding is your little saving account for a vacation, increase your exemptions and put the money into a similar account. If you overdo it, you have the money to pay the bill. If not, you have the money to take your vacation without waiting for a refund.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
we'll owe, too. too bad in utero babies can't be deductions on tax returns....can't wait until next year!!!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
what ever happened to the $3500 pet deduction? i know i've spent WAY more than that on surgeries this year.
I think its on the plate for next year. If it passes, I will be thrilled. That assumes that I don't have a heart attack upon hearing that it got passed. I can't believe that they will pass it. Tax deduction for human health insurance was taken away years ago. I can't believe that they will pass somethig like this, although I wont complain if they do. Not pet owners will go through the roof.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
we'll owe, too. too bad in utero babies can't be deductions on tax returns....can't wait until next year!!!
The deduction isn't that great and you can only claim $3k in day care. It will make a nice difference though. One year we paid $9k in day care.:eek:

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
You are going to hate me Lindsay but ours in on-line already...you have to wait for the final audit in 2 weeks before you can be sure you won't have to do an ammended return. But in the last 2 years since they went to this system mine hasn't changed.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The reason why I didn't take more exemptions is that I started out the year not knowing if I was going back to school or not and how many classes (and therefore how much tuition I'd actually be paying). We also started out the year not knowing if we were getting a pay cut or what.

Believe me... I'm all about delaying my accounts payable and using my cash flow in the smartest way possible. Next year I'll have this planned out a lot better.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I'm always anxious for ours too we won't get as much back this year since we changed our exemptions but it will still be a little bit. We don't get all our info for DH's stock though until March and it really ticks me off.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I owed last year and I'll owe again this year. I wish it was because I was making so much money, but instead it's due to those pesky self-employment taxes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts