Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Hey it wasn't me that called these tea partys "teabagging" for weeks and weeks until someone's kid finally showed them the urban dictionary.

Oh and I'm quite well satisfied in that area thank you very much... I know how to take care of myself ;)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The headline in today's USA Today reads "Most Americans OK with Big Government - for now".
I have a feeling today's demonstrations will indicate that perhaps most Americans are not OK with Big Government, even "for now".

I believe most people are just now realizing exactly what is happening in Washington.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Some folks from work are goping to the one at our state capital.

I'm not so much for protests.

They seem lame and stupid even if it's a topic I agree with. Like a child holding it's breath until it gets it's way.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I'm going to the one in Sacramento. I'd really like the rest of the country to see what big spending and huge taxes has done to California before we take the entire country down the same path. We've been your petri dish; people should take a good look at how it's worked out.

That and I've got a little crush on Neil Cavuto and he's showing up.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I'd really like the rest of the country to see what big spending and huge taxes has done to California before we take the entire country down the same path. We've been your petri dish; people should take a good look at how it's worked out.

Wow, you mean they've lied to us?;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
The headline in today's USA Today reads "Most Americans OK with Big Government - for now".
I have a feeling today's demonstrations will indicate that perhaps most Americans are not OK with Big Government, even "for now".

I believe most people are just now realizing exactly what is happening in Washington.
you mean media is only telling - showing us one side that government wants us all to believe is really going on :eek:

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm going to the one in Sacramento. I'd really like the rest of the country to see what big spending and huge taxes has done to California before we take the entire country down the same path. We've been your petri dish; people should take a good look at how it's worked out.
heard this on the news today very sad

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went to the one in our capital, Olympia, Washington. There was a great turnout -- many more than I expected to see. :)

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
My dad always told me if you want to get someones attention hit them in the wallet. If You smack someone upside the head it useless, hit him in the wallet and they start screaming. The tea parties are nice for the media but that is far as it will go.

In a thread last year a topic derailed( go figure) to the subject of the amount of income we actually get to spend on ourselves. I hadn't done the math gymnastics in awhile but I figured I paid in taxes,fees, surcharges ~45% of my income. This year I'll have less to use as I see fit than previous years.

These next few years it's only going to get worse in order to finance improving the economy. I'm not an economics genius but until money can be put in the hands of private people you cannot improve the current situation we're in. What good is having "High Consumer Confidence" without money.

I would have loved to snap up some of the bargains in the stock market of late. Unfortunately no money to do so. Wage freezes,increased fees and property taxes are cutting into the descretionary monies I have.

I'd love to buy my wife a new car this year but the cost of everyday living doesn't make it possible. My cable rates have increased, utilitity surcharges have increased, The STAR (NY) property tax rebate is being pulled. The energy cost spike from the summer hasn't lowered the cost of goods in the store yet. The rise in the price of products delivered by truck hasn't dropped even though diesel is half of what it was in July. The majority of contracts with unions are still being honored so raises and increased benefits are still being paid. Those unfortunate to be laid off put a strain on the economy. Employers still have to contribute to unemployment benefits without the output per dollar spent.

Local government budgets have gaps that are going to be filled with taxpayer dollars. I have not,nor will I get from my employer, the increase in wages to cover the additional costs I will see for the next year.

It's plain and simple. I cannot spend more this year to stimulate the economy than I spent last year. As a matter of fact I will spend less because I have to SEND more each month for what I already have.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts