Just Labradors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess you deleted your post, but I was typing this and wanted to go ahead and tell you not to panic:

Well, first, I don't think it's odd that your parents know your SSN. They're the ones that first got your number, they've had to use it for you while you were growing up - it's not something they're just going to forget now that you're an adult.

Second, since you were on your dad's policy before, it would be very easy for him to just call the insurance company and say to pull you off and put you on your own policy. So, it's not like they stole your identity or anything.

I would probably just say 'hey, why didn't you tell me you needed me to get my own policy - I would have been happy to take care of it.'

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Odd that the topic was pulled. Tater? You okay? ??? ??? ???

My reply ----

Was there any warning?? Did he say something like, "It's time for you to have your own ins, and I'll give you 30 days to go get it, otherwise, I'm pushing you off to your own policy??"

If not, yes, that's odd. Especially not knowing what your budget can handle. As for the use of the SSN, well, he should have checked w/you, but it's not like he went in for identity theft and signed you up to receive a lifetime supply of Tibetian War Chants on CD.

My advice-

1) Get the SS card out of the old baby book
2) Shop around for another policy that fits your budget. Drop Dad's and sign w/someone else that you can afford.
3) Don't make a huge issue of it, but don't allow it to happen again.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Huh? Why was the post deleted? I was just going to reply that after reading a couple of times that I finally "got it". She was on her fathers policy and paid him cash for it, because it was cheaper for her that way. He went behind her back and opened up her own policy in her name only. RIGHT? Is that legal? Can someone other than the person on the policy do that???

·
Registered
659 Posts
Here was my reply:

If you live in the US, your parents have your SS number for a variety of reasons - they applied for it, and they used it annually for taxes. So I doubt he is trying to screw you over.

It sounds like from todays post and from yesterdays about the bank statements, that you may need to sit your parents down, in a non- emotional way, and tell them its time for you to be on your own. In all ways. Maybe this was your dads way of telling you its time for you to take some responsbility. Yeah thats great that it would be cheaper for your insurance to be with dad....hey it would be cheaper if my car were treated as one of my brother's company cars.....because it tows boats for him a few times a year....but its MY responsibility - NOT HIS. What YOU need to understand, is that means that they should no longer be available to bail you out or make things easier for you.

With edit - not trying to make this sound harsh - it just sounds like a talk is long over due on both your parts.

G

·
I dont know what happen to it. Sorry.

I do have my card, its in my purse. I was looking for my own policy,and then I get the call he already took care of it and told me to take care of the payments. I dont kow, just over a lot of things right now. I will let it go and not say anything.

jzgrlduff said:
Huh? Why was the post deleted? I was just going to reply that after reading a couple of times that I finally "got it". She was on her fathers policy and paid him cash for it, because it was cheaper for her that way. He went behind her back and opened up her own policy in her name only. RIGHT? Is that legal? Can someone other than the person on the policy do that???
This is what I was wondering. I could have gotten it cheaper with Geico. But its whatever. I will pay on this for a couple of months get a new insruance company and be done with it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I tried to reply to that post too, but then it said something like I couldn't access it.

I don't think that was the smoothest way for your dad to handle it.

I myself was on my dad's insurance policy when I was in school and I just paid him the amount that was due. Insurance companies will allow this. I'd talk to your dad and ask him why he felt he needed to do this. In the meantime, shop around for other insurance on your own and then transfer companies. It sounds like your dad got tired of asking for money from you and decided that it was time for you to pay the bill directly. It's not a bad goal, it just would have been nice if he sat you down and said "Time for you to get your own insurance in your own name."

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sam, NO ONE has said to let it go and not say anything. In fact, everyone has said you DO need to say something.

About the insurance, just say that you would have been happy to have taken care of it. But you need to sit down and have a talk about things.

Otherwise... well, you can't continue to be surprised when stuff like this happens.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I think both your parents need a kick in the arse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.