Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK heres my biggest problem with him. He is house trained and he is crate trained. He doesnt use the bathroom in the house. He knows to go to the door and we let him out. Well for the past couple of months, before Christmas. He has been going in his cage. He is pooping and peeing in his cage at night. Heres the thing, he doesnt do it every night. Every two weeks (and I swear to god it is every two weeks we marked it on a calendar) he will go in his cage. I will go two weeks without waking up to the smell of crap and piss, and then one night (like last night) I hear a bark go down stairs and there he is standing in his piss and crap. Now his walks before bed are long walks(because I dont want him to even have a chance to go in his crate). He gets at least 5 walks from the time we get home (around 6) before we go to bed (around 11 or so). He most of the time gets more. He pooped yesterday afternoon when we got home. We walked him 6 times last night before bed, I heard him bark around 2:30 I pop out of bed and run down stairs (just incase he had not gone yet in is cage) and he already went.

Can someone help me. What am I doing wrong? He gets a run/walk every other night with me. We play thru out the night when I get home. He gets walked enough times to go. I dont sleep well anymore its seems like because I am scared he is going to go and I might not hear him bark. BUT I ALWAYS HEAR HIM BARK. Do I need to take him in to the VET and see if they can tell me something? I just dont get it he is trained and knows better. I put him nose in it when he does this. AND I SWEAR TO YOU IT IS EVERY TWO WEEKS THAT IS DOES THIS. Its crazy I dont understand it.

SOMEONE HELP BEFORE THE MEN WITH THE WHITE COATS COME AND GET ME.

Just to let you know this too, before this started happening he was fine. After I trained him (took about three months to crate and hose train him) he was fine. And like I said right before christmas he started going every two weeks. Its so crazy and weird I dont know. Do I just need to learn to live with it? I have tired to correct it, but nothing see,s to be working.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
He is pissed about being in the crate. If you can trust him outside of the crate at night - then do it.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I put him nose in it when he does this
Nice. Really nice.

Sam, I've told you this before, and I'll say it again. That dog spends FAR TOO MUCH time in his crate on a daily basis. I'd crap in it too if it was my life.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hunter said:
He is pissed about being in the crate. If you can trust him outside of the crate at night - then do it.
We did this once and he pissed all over the kitchen. Oh and he ate the George Forman grill cord. If that is his problem then this weekend (not doing it on a work night) I will try him in the kitchen one more time.

I figure once that he could be pissed about the crate, so we did lots more fetching and playing and longer walks. Now that it is getting warmer out I will go back to taking him to Codys parents to run around in their yard and maybe go swimming.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
It sounds as though he is getting plenty of exercise, so I do not think that is the problem. Probably not a medical condition since it only happens once every two weeks.

I would get a dog bed, place it next to your bed, get a long leash, tie it to your bed, put Tater on the other end and give that a try. I am thinking he just wants to be next to his pack.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can he stay in the room with you guys at night? Mambo has been free at night for about 5 months now. He sleeps on his bed on the floor. That took some time to train him to do that. He wanted to sleep with us. But now he is great. When I am ready to go to bed, he runs right in my room and lays in his bed. Doesnt get up until he hears us moving around.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Don't stick his nose in it... that won't do anything.. if he's already gone you cannot give a correction in the time it takes for him to bark and you to go downstairs...

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
How much time is he spending in his crate per day? and how old is he?

Really, there is no need for an adult dog to be pooping or peeing in the house. This is your problem, not his. Rubbing his nose in it won't help. Not only will he not make the connection (for a correction to work -- and rubbing his nose in it is NOT the way to correct -- it must happen immediately after the behavior) but it could make the situation worse.

Also, what do you mean you "walk him 6 times"?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
When he has had an accident in the crate do you use something like Nature's Miracle to get rid of the smell? Also have you noticed the weather on nights when this has happened. Have there been thunderstorms? Just trying to think of other reasons why this would be happening.
Olie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hunter said:
It sounds as though he is getting plenty of exercise, so I do not think that is the problem. Probably not a medical condition since it only happens once every two weeks.

I would get a dog bed, place it next to your bed, get a long leash, tie it to your bed, put Tater on the other end and give that a try. I am thinking he just wants to be next to his pack.
I will try this, thank you for the great idea. I will go get him a new bone today so that he doesnt get bored next to the bed and start chewing on it ;D
Oonas Dad said:
When he has had an accident in the crate do you use something like Nature's Miracle to get rid of the smell? Also have you noticed the weather on nights when this has happened. Have there been thunderstorms? Just trying to think of other reasons why this would be happening.
Olie
NO, no thunderstorms on these nights. And yes I either use dish soap on a rag to wipe it out take it out and wash it clean.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
You stick his nose in it? You're kidding right? That will teach him absolutely NOTHING. :(
If you don't trust him outside the crate at night, at least put it in the bedroom with you. Or like Hunter said, get a dog bed, put it next to your bed and close the door at night so he can't destroy the rest of the house.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
OK cleaning up with soap and water is enough so that you can't smell it, but Tater can. You need to finish the job with Nature's Miracle or something like it to completely remove the odor otherwise he is going to continue to be confused into thinking its alright to go in his crate.
Olie

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Good point, Olie.

I believe Tater is 15 months or something close to that.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
6 walks in the evening, how is that possible! Why not just one long walk. What time do you feed Tater his last meal. Sammi's last time outside is between 8-9pm, and she is able to make it until 0630 or 0700 in the morning, not sure why Tater is haveing to poop or pee in the night still. Just some questions I had. ;). Hope things work out for Tater soon!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Sam, when you say "walks" during the evening, do you mean actual walks, or just taking him out in the yard to pee/poop?

1 - 20 of 136 Posts