Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Coco had a good nights sleep only a little whining and up at midnight 3 and 6:30 when we wake up. For some reason she is obsessed with the legs of our coffee table which are metal, I think it is the sound it makes when she scratches/chews on the legs. Whenever she does chew I put a Nylabone in front of her and praise her for chewing on that instead. Is there anything that works better than the Bitter Yuck spray by Naturvet? It does not seem to bother her! Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Get a wet rag & give it a healthy sprinkling of pepper. Wipe it over the legs. When it dries, the pepper will stay giving him a nasty surprise next time he licks or chews it. This also works great on electrical & phone leads which he WILL graduate to soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh she is already there! I think she is comfortable at home because she is much more active than the past 2 days........ and the fun begins

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any advise on other sprays that might work? The pepper did not work at all I just tried black pepper did not want to try anything too extreme like cayenne.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Any advise on other sprays that might work? The pepper did not work at all I just tried black pepper did not want to try anything too extreme like cayenne.
Have you tried bitter apple?? Works like a charm for my pup.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I would concentrate on keeping an eye on the puppy (and also try some of the bitter stuff but some dogs enjoy it). You have a very very young pup, and it might be teething so make sure he has somethign to chew on and supervise at all times. When he is chewing say "no" (or whatever sound you make) and redirect.

Puppies are like babies, they need constant supervision and are alot of work.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
What you need to do is catch your puppy in the act and correct her. Not all dogs find those sprays aversive. You want to catch her chewing the legs, make a loud sharp sound (AAK) and remove her saying NO CHEW or something like that - then offer her an appropriate chew item like a nylabone. If she is really persistent - you might try keeping her on a leash tethered to you so you can completely control her behavior and whereabouts in the house.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats what I have been doing, replacing with a nylabone but that lasts about 30 seconds then its back to the legs, rugs, cords or what ever is interesting for those few seconds. Oh well its just part of it. She did sleep awesome last night which was great only up at 2 then 7.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts