Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the vet tonight to get yet another dose of antibiotics for harlees chin acne. The vet gave her 4 weeks worth and wants me to try a food change. Currently feeding Kirkland she believes with the feet chewing and the acne I should see a diff with the food change. Much to my surprise she was all for grain free but wants me to try fish based.

They are both about the same price, which should I try?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
We don't have Orijen down here, so I can speak of it personally. Several people on the forum feed and have nothing but good things to say about it.

I have fed Taste of the Wild and I think it's a good food as well.

Since both are good foods, it really just depends on how your dog does on it as two different dogs can have different results on the same food.

I believe Orijen has more calories, so if weight is an issue that may be a factor in your decision. Taste of the Wild is made by the same company the makes Kirkland. Just in case it's some odd intolerance to something other than the meat or grains, you may want to try a completely different manufacturer just so you're trying something completely different.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I feed Kodi TOTW and it cleared her ears up very well.

Re the chin acne, what kind of bowl do you feed her out of? If I remember right, at least with cats if you fed out of a plastic bowl, they were much more apt to develop chin acne. Also be sure to thoroughly clean the bowl after each use.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For some reason they are both the same price here. Crazy insane compared to Kirland..I was paying $34 for a 40lb bag and I just bougth TOTW for $40 for 15 lbs. Crazy but at this point I will do whatever I can to keep her off antibiotics (after this round).

SHe is fed from SS dishes, they are cleaned often.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I would go with orijen, personally. I really like that they list all of their suppliers, I have yet to see another company do that up front. :) Also like that they tell you in terms of percentages what's in the food (70-30-0 thing).

AND they're Canadian.

Also as a side note, last year Baloo started to lose pigment in his nose. I switched him from SS to ceramic after reading that it was possible to be allergic to SS and his pigment came back and hasn't gone since. :)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
For some reason they are both the same price here. Crazy insane compared to Kirland..I was paying $34 for a 40lb bag and I just bougth TOTW for $40 for 15 lbs. Crazy but at this point I will do whatever I can to keep her off antibiotics (after this round).

SHe is fed from SS dishes, they are cleaned often.
Wow, that is an insane amount for TOTW! That had to be mismarked, I pay just a little more than that for the big bag!!

We had the boys on CORE ocean variety and it was over $60 for 30 lbs. :( Just got them fully switched over to TOTW Pacific Stream and they are doing fine so far.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Also as a side note, last year Baloo started to lose pigment in his nose. I switched him from SS to ceramic after reading that it was possible to be allergic to SS and his pigment came back and hasn't gone since. :)
Your comment has me thinking...what color is a yellow lab's nose supposed to be??? I noticed in the pics that Shane's nose is the color of Bo's, but Amazongold's nose is black. Both yellows, but different colored noses. Is there a standard or a norm? Just want to make sure that my Bo isn't suffering from allergies. THX!

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
It is normal for yellows to lose pigment in their nose for varying reasons (most common is "snow nose" where the dog will lose pigment in the colder months) but it isn't normal for blacks, which is what had me worried. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oddly enough I read something about this recently (about SS & chin acne). Most of the SS bowls do come from China or India & I wondered if perhaps they may contain lead. I switched Hannah over to ceramic but you have to be careful of those too (if they are scratched or chipped) because they are also from China & the paint could contain lead.

Geez.......if you get bowls made here in the USA, they cost a fortune so we don't have a lot of choices here......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok that settles it, you need to mail me some for the price difference :)
Today is Harlee's first day on 100 percent TOTW, she was doing fine and was almost all switched over as of yesterday so I gave her only that today, hopefully her stomach will be fine and she stops chewing her feet, and the acne stays gone :)

Thanks everyone for the info!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.