Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a workout the new and improved Amazing Line gets this week, as the teams take a variety of flights and times trying to get to Siberia. Most of the planes leave around the same time, but thanks to some wonky layover time-bleeds, it turned into a two-tier competition. Mark/Michael, Kisha/Jen, and Christi/Jodi are in the front of the pack, and everyone else is lagging.

In a truly weird mix-up, Mark/Mike borrow a cellphone from their cabbie (getting to be TAR SOP, by the way, in going from one leg to another via cab). But they end up connecting with Cara/Jamie in another cab! The cheerleaders play along, using a semi-phony accent to tell the stuntguys that all flights are booked. Or something. Doesn't really have much of an effect on M/M's finishing (they're vexed by far worse luck later on). So the whole thing just comes off as horribly random.

The Detour is a choice of either stacking a humungous pile of firewood in a complicated (and rather precarious) pattern... while annoying Russian music blares in the background, thanks the the requisite gang of laughing locals. Or build a set of shutters, find a home that's marked as needing them, and install.

Most teams choose the firewood, but when Mike/Mark's pile topples (the first of four to collapse), they give up in frustration and head to the shutter-maker. Where their way STILL isn't clear. They can pretty much successfully build the windowdressing, but when it comes to finding the home needing them, they're lost. Wander. 30 houses or so. A mile up the street. Nyet.

Other teams suffer the same fate with their woodpiles. Except for Cara/Jamie who, invoking the 'girls rule/boys drool' rule, restack the kindling. Tammy/Victor, using 'asian engineering' stack correctly the first time and move on. They seem to be working much better in conjunction this leg, which is a good thing to see... Kisha/Jen and Margie/Luke also succeed.

Mel/Mike, Mike/Mark, and Amanda/Kris all go off to do shutters. They work together to find the damned house, and it's onto the next piece.

Except.

Phil introduces the BLIND U-TURN, the **koff-koff** SHOCKING twist to TAR14. Except it's not so shocking: it's the oppty to U-turn another team (force them to do the second of the two Detour options) anonymously. So if you're U-Turned, you don't know who to hate.

Margie/Luke, scared specifically of Kris' prowess and youth, BU-T Amanda/Kris. They trudge BACK to the damned woodpile and gamely shoulder on, as the wheeze of the vodka-driven accordion whines on.

Amusement park!! Ride a bobsled (looks awesome!) and collect letters, unscrambling them for the name of a Russian playwrite. If only some of these people had paid better attention to European Lit 101....

Mike/Mark continue to struggle as he misses a letter. So does Kisha/Jen. Wondering: Could you have faked this? In other words, had I ridden the bob (looked really fun) and been presented with the KCHEKV but missed the O would have assumed the answer was CHECKOV. Could I have just written those letters on the answerboard and moved on to placing the letters?

In other words, I didn't quite 'get' the idea of team members coming off the sled saying "I missed a letter and need to ride again."

Unless they didn't know the playwrite at all and needed all the letters.

Which didn't help some of them anyway.

Poor Luke, for example, did not know Checkov and seemed to not quite understand the idea of GUESSING, as Kisha/Jen and Christi/Jodi do. After all, those letters will really only form a somewhat-logical Russian name in so many configurations....

Off to the pitstop. Christi/Jodi are team one.

Mark/Mike struggle one last time, when they don't have the rubles to pay the cabbie. They offer their watches, but the guy's sporting a Rolex (!!!!). Jackets? No. He ends up just letting them go.

They're almost squeeked, but Amanda/Kris, having to re-do the stacking, cannot recover and are Philiminated. They leave the race mistakenly thinking that Kisha/Jen were the ones who BU-T'ed them. Wonder what they thought watching the ep last night???

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
would have assumed the answer was CHECKOV. Could I have just written those letters on the answerboard and moved on to placing the letters?
I was going to laugh at how pretentious that sounded, but since you spelled Chekhov wrong a few times, i figured taunting was more fun. =)

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
That wood pile was daunting. I wouldn't have known Chekhov either. I too would have had to guess. I didn't have to take European Lit 101...

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to laugh at how pretentious that sounded, but since you spelled Chekhov wrong a few times, i figured taunting was more fun. =)
Coulda been that OTHER famous Russian playwrite: KHEVCCO

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
After having so many Russian hockey players in Detroit, I would have known it ended in OV. ;)

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
The use of the borrowed cellphone is ruining this show. No more racing to the airport, no more pushing and shoving to screw the other guy, completely does away with the advantage of being first to leave a checkpoint. Everybody just ambles in and gets on their flight.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
The use of the borrowed cellphone is ruining this show. No more racing to the airport, no more pushing and shoving to screw the other guy, completely does away with the advantage of being first to leave a checkpoint. Everybody just ambles in and gets on their flight.
instead of cellphones, they should only be able to use pitchforks and flame throwers.. that'd make it fun to watch!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts