Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Teddy and Ivy ran a rabbit under the fence and killed it about a month ago. Ivy ate some before I could roll it under the fence away from her. I don't think any of the other dogs did. Teddy's caught and killed rabbits before on his own and just brought them to us, intact with their necks broken.

Fast forward to today--small white, flat worms crawling out of Ivy's butt. EEEEEEEWWWWWW!!!!!! They poo out in the yard, so I don't see their daily excretions. I'm going to see if I can take her in tomorrow to have a fecal and have her wormed.

But--should I have all the other dogs wormed, too? From what I can tell, it seems like they have to ingest the eggs and none of them eat poo or have fleas. And I don't want to take them all in for a fecal, either. Anyone gone through this before with multiple dogs?

Did I mention I'm kinda freaked out? She normally sleeps right next to me. :eek:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have heard that if they contact it that it can be carried in on their feet as well. If it was me I would be a worrywart and do it, but I am sure someone else here knows more about it.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I would call your vet in the morning and see what they suggest about the other dogs. When I thought Brigetta had tapeworms (I saw worms in her feces a couple of days after- tuns out they were maggots...gross, I know! ), they told me to watch Prudence's feces and if I noticed them, then they would treat her. From what I understand they do have to ingest the eggs or infected flea and that they aren't always detected through fecal exams. I would check your other dog's feces and around their bottoms. There's also some good info on this link.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_tapeworm.html

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Max had tapes when he got here. The other dogs are on medications for worms so I didnt bother with them. The Heartguard Plus takes care of them from what Ive heard. I havent had a problem with Max or the others since the monthly meds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts