Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took Tank and Orson out front. Orson to play and Tank to take his daily constitutional. I was thowing snowballs for Orson and Tank went out to do his thing then he started to walk all funny. He was lifting up a back leg so I thought maybe he got some ice in it. I rubbed it and when he put it back down all of a sudden he could not walk at all. Thankfully hubby was out there with me and I screamed at him to come over where I was. We carried him into the house. I don't know how I did it, I guess adrenalin goes into high gear - took me a while to quit breathing hard. Anyway, he was fine once he got into the house. It is single digits here and the only thing I can think of is that the metal plates in his back legs caused him to seize up. I am going to have to be very careful with him in this cold weather especially if hubby is traveling.....there is no way I could have got him in the house by myself. I would have been totally freaking out! :eek:

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh man! I'm so glad hubby was there to help. I often wonder if I could lift the boys by myself in an emergency. I think you're right about adrenalin kicking in. Hope he's OK!

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Oh Tankie, don't scare Mommy like that. Keep a sling on hand, Sandie. It might be difficult, but you'd still have an easier time getting him in with a sling than trying to lift or drag him. If just the rear seizes up, he can help you with the front while you support his rear with the sling. Tear the seams out of an old totebag and keep it nearby just in case.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Oh poor you and poor Tank. I'm glad he's doing better now. What an ordeal to have to endure, though.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh Tankie, don't scare Mommy like that. Keep a sling on hand, Sandie. It might be difficult, but you'd still have an easier time getting him in with a sling than trying to lift or drag him. If just the rear seizes up, he can help you with the front while you support his rear with the sling. Tear the seams out of an old totebag and keep it nearby just in case.
You are soooo right Laura. Actually I had two twin sheets up on the porch that we had used 2 weeks ago during the encephalitis episode to take him out to go to the bathroom while the Prednisone was kicking in. I was in such a panic I totally forgot about them.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Oh man, Sandie. That just breaks my heart.
Wonderful idea about the sling and leg warmers.
Poor ol' Tankie. Good, good mommy! :)

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I was going to suggest, something made of plastic, you could roll him on it and it would slide very easily over the snow- poor Tank and poor Mom! Smooches to the big boy!

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
It might not hurt getting a plastic sled in case he can't walk at all and keeping it closeby.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
That or you can use a towel (make sure it's long enough to go around and you have something to grab on to) in a jiffy!

Poor Tank - glad he's okay! :eek:

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I'm glad he was okay once you got him back into the house.

You know, we never had luck using a sling with Otis. He wouldn't help by moving his front end at all. I don't know if it freaked him out or if he was just waiting to get lifted completely up off all fours!

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
That must have been scary. Strange what caused it though. Lots of good suggestions about the sling, etc.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
You might check with your vets as to what would be the likely cause of this for Tankie.

I'm assuming you have stairs that would be too hard for you to carry a Lab up rather than just an entrance level with the ground outside?

If it's the cold, you might look at www.ruffwear.com for their K-9 overcoats -- that might help keep him warm enough to continue going potty outside (although slings and sleds would be very wise to have always available, just in case).

You may need to train Tank to potty inside in a tray if he continues having too much difficulty with the cold.

Purina used to market a large potty tray called "Second Nature" which might be large enough for an adult Lab. I used one for training Puff to pee & potty in when she was a pup and it was too far to get her outside. People who have Labs in high rise apartments must use something like that. While Purina still markets their smaller "Second Nature" trays and supplies, they no longer sell the largest model but you could easily adapt (by cutting down) a large plastic tray from WalMart or other stores to be a functional substitute.

Possibly www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com would have some useful, time-tested protocol for training a Lab that's used to going outside to make the switch to going inside under these conditions. It might be worthwhile to ask them. Surely hundreds of dogs have had to make this type of switch and there must be ways of training them to do this.

Good luck to you and Tankie.

ETA: Another thought is to get a davit/hoist so you could lift him up to the deck. E.g., see http://www.mauriprosailing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FOR153100&Category_Code=FORMOT Or you might have something made that would do the same thing. Or maybe a cart designed to fit your stairs that would work somewhat like the Stairlift used by infirm people?

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
OMG, that is so scary. I agree about the sling. I used an old bath towel for my old dog. Just looped it under his belly and it really helped him get in and out of the house.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts