Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This kind of confused me tonight. Several of my students stopped by for awhile a bit ago and nothing unusual about that. They have been here before and Tal has done just fine. Aftewr a bit he started to whine a little so I though ok maybe he needed to wee...he did and poop too. When come back in and after a few minutes he started again. I could not figure for the life of me why. I had him on leash and of course would not let him jump on anyone.

I gave in and thought maybe he was hungry. He didn't eat right then so that wasnt it.

After they left he was as normal as could be. Any ideas?

BTW, I know he is pretty tired. We played alot of fetch yesterday, and today plus a walk. So I know he is a bit tired. He'll get plenty of rest when I go back to school tomorrow. Still wish I could be here with him tho...
:(

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Only guessing.....but maybe he was just excited about the students being there. Being on leash he could not get to them....I know...Molly is a jumper & I have to remind her always not to jump. But when they are on leash, both Molly & Abby will whine if there are people they would like to greet & I won't let them. I don't want them jumping on people that come to the house. :)

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Maybe it's just the time of day Tal is accustomed to having one-one-one time with you, either in play or just quiet time? He's still such a youngster, remember.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you're both on to something. I did have him on leash because I am trying to teach him not to jump on folks. I have been trying to get others to say sit and him be (relatively) calm before they pet him. Funny thing is that kids are better about doing that than adults..go figure.

I usually get home about 4:30 or 5 depending on how long I workout before coming home. They were here about 5:15 or so until 6 and once I get home Tal has me all to himself. On Saturday and Sundays he pretty much has me to himself but he knows people are welcome here.

The only reason I noticed it was because he usually doesn't whine much. Thanks for the insights. Sounds like it is something that will get better as he gets older and I continue to help him learn proper behavior around us humans!

·
Registered
638 Posts
myfavoritedog -- I agree with georgie -- Misty will do this very same thing when I leash her (which I also do so that she won't jump on people). She whines pitifully if she doesn't get to interact with the people. I also am trying to teach her, by having guests not give her attention until she will sit and is at least TRYING to be calm! ::) She gets SO hyper when she sees people! It's like she thinks everyone is a friend! Maybe we could all take a lesson from our labs -- it might make the world a friendlier place!

Steve

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I just wanted to add...I have noticed neither of my girls will jump on our little grandkids. Of course they are pretty much eye level with the girls & Molly & Abby just get a quick "lick" in before they are corrected with a "no lick." But they do try to jump up on my sons. I have also put them in a sit & they have to wait to be petted, if they behave. No petting until they are sitting. It does take time. Tal is still young. These labs love people so much...it just takes time & patience with alot of obedience thrown in.

I also notice our older son did let Molly jump up on him & Molly still will attempt to jump up on him. I have to correct him!! ;D No petting unless she is sitting. :)
She still has to be reiminded & Molly is 4.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts