Just Labradors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm weird...I was outside the other nite playing with the dogs and started watching how they wagged their tails.

Thunder - back and forth 100 miles a min.
Bud - round and round like propeller
Simba - back and forth like sweeping the floor

Anyone else notice how their dogs wag?

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Bauer has different wags for different situations.

The "I am so happy you are home" wag: So hard that the whole back 1/2 of his body wags.

The "Here I come with my frisbee" wag: Big propeller like circles.

The "I am so excited to be here, but you told me to sit" wag: Just the tip of his tail wagging back and forth as he sits on the ground.

The "you told me to do it" wag: Me: Wag your tail . . . he wags. Me: Wag it harder . . . he wags harder.

I love his tail! :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
I've noticed it too. If Clarence is really happy his cranks round & round, Shane is back & forth. Either way you look at it they're "happy labs"!!:)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Shadow's was always moving, but when she was really happy it was like a propeller. Buddy and Champ are the waver types.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Oh - I love the "just the tip" wag . "I'm so excited, but I'm supposed to be good right now" wag :) Emilu has more of a "proper" tail carraige, so hers is more of the "sweep the floor" style, but it is always going. Her tail is also shorter (again, more proper), so I don't notice hers as much - doesn't knock things off etc. Skippy has/had a very long, heavy tail, carried higher - he practically knocked people over with it - continously. A couple years ago he injured it by wagging it against the wire fence of the boarding kennel for a week, and we eventually had to amputate part of it due to non-healing. For a while he could only wag it in one direction - it was so sad. But now he wags as happily as ever, just doesn't knock things over as much.

As you know- I've been showing Emilu in obedience for several years. She tends to be stressed at shows, and lately has shut down in the ring, but people still remark - "what a happy dog - her tail never stopped wagging" I replied - "she's a lab, she'd have to be dead for her tail to stop wagging" I heard a snort of laughter from a fellow lab owner sitting nearby.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Cybil had a full body wag most of the time and when she was sleepy or laying by my feet it was a "thump thump" ...

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Simon is sort of a straight back-and-forth wagger. If he's walking or heeling, it's held a little higher and waves gently.

Angus has a more expressive tail. If he is very excited, e.g. you come home after work, or he's about to get a great treat, it's like a helicopter. Big round circles that move his entire back end. If he's walking or heeling, it's held straight up and the tip goes back and forth. As soon as you praise him, the whole tail wags.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
We don't call her Miss Happy Butt for nothing...she wags it in a variety of ways but most of the time it is like her rear quarter is on a swivel and it is wagging as fast as the tail. She also has the long tail of a field lab. But it has a bend in it. Sometimes it is high and C shaped, other times level and S shaped. Sometimes it is off to the right or the left I keep saying she has an opposable tail.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Tal will wag side to side unless he is searching out his ball in tall grass or something. Then it is like a propellor!

Barney's tail is really bushy and kind of curls up. He straightens it out when he wags it and it also goes side to side no matter what.

Either way, I know they are happy!

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I was just talking to someone about this today while watching labs at a dog show. One of our friend's dogs has the same wag as his sire- in a "figure 8." Another one does the helicopter (propeller, around and around), while others were just side-to-side either up at the level of the tailbase, or with tail hanging down, but tip wagging furiously. It was a fun thing to watch. How ironic that you had the same thoughts today! :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
i can honestly say that i have not really paid attention to how Shelby's tail wags.... i do know that there are times her whole body shakes with the tail when she is really happy!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Cute Post!! :)

Cody's tail wags back and forth, with a tremendous wiggle of the butt! It's too cute. There are times when he is wagging, I'll grab the tip of the tail.. and then his tail could be a jump rope!! Too funny, it goes in circles...:D

Kennaa

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Yes! My 3 all have distinctive wags...to me, anyway.;) Murphy wags in a circle. Riley is more of a thumper. Piper wags from her shoulders back...total full body wag.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts