Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm noticing my boy is strutting around alot with his tail way up in the air the past few weeks, he's 6.5 months old....is this the 'intact male' phase i'm getting into?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Your baby is young still, so I highly doubt he even knows he's an intact male yet ;) He is however getting to an age where he's going to start "challenging" everything a bit, which happens regardless of sex. This could be a reason for the new flag pole :) What's around him (people, dogs) when he does this?

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I heard that a tail straight up in the air means he's feeling "dominant" and "in charge".... probably startin to hit that challenging stage! ;D

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JacksAndLabs said:
Your baby is young still, so I highly doubt he even knows he's an intact male yet ;) He is however getting to an age where he's going to start "challenging" everything a bit, which happens regardless of sex. This could be a reason for the new flag pole :) What's around him (people, dogs) when he does this?
He does it even walking around the house. It used to never be like this...(it WAS straight out)

What I'm concerned about it now getting him out around other dogs and the signal that the tail in the air is going to be giving off....

???

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
He's in the stage where he's trying to figure out where he sits in the pack hierarchy, and most of them want to be at the top, so he's telling you that in a subtle way!

I think you just need to pretty much ignore it, and make sure that he knows that he is a (much loved) bottom-of-pack-member! :)

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
DFWLab said:
He does it even walking around the house. It used to never be like this...(it WAS straight out)

What I'm concerned about it now getting him out around other dogs and the signal that the tail in the air is going to be giving off....
If he's doing it in the house, I'd add a little more obedience to his life. Random doggy pushups before you play or give him affection or feed him. As far as his messege to other dogs, they'll tell him if they're going to except it or not and, as long as it doesn't get rough, that can actually be a good thing.

Do you know if mom or dad carried their tail high?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
My boy Apollo is a submissive dog. When he is intrigued he perks up his ears and curls his tail, like this:

(apollo on left)

Are you sure that raising the tail is only a sign of dominance? Maybe hes just a curious puppy?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
You're right. It will send a message of "I think I'm better than you" to other dogs. :p

Angus' tail is forever held straight up. It's been like that since he was a baby. He is a very dominant fellow, I guess. Anyway, yes, I believe his tail is part of what other dogs interpret as a challenge, and the reason he gets growled at so much. :-\ He also combines his with approaching straight on, head high, and staring straight into their eyes. Classic dominance posture.

But, I wouldn't really worry too much about it. Since you have late-onset high-tail :D, maybe it's a phase? The only real problem it causes us is greeting other dogs. Incidentally, with Angus it seems to be worse when he's on leash. He doesn't send as many dominance signals when off-leash. And I'm sure this has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that he was attacked on leash by a Mastiff before he was a year old. :( Best defense is a good offense, he figures. Can't say I even blame him, really.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He was the alpha dog of his litter, but i'm not sure how his parents carried their tails.

I do have a few other dominance type things we are dealing with(which is why i was so aware of this tail issue right away), so I think i think doggy bootcamp will need to take it up a notch to let him know who is the big dog around here.

he hasn't met many since this began, but i always watch OTHER dogs tails as well when we meet(big cesar fan. :) ) so i'll have to keep an eye on Chuy's body language closely now.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I've noticed also with Aidan, that his on leash reactions are much stronger than if he is off leash. On leash, even when he wants to play, he sounds and tries to act like a tough guy. I agree with the doggie push ups and do just that when he gets a little too full of himself.
I miss my terrier also...She was the perfect Attitude-Adjustor. Emma lets him get away with wayyy too much lol.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I was very concerned about this. Zoe hold her tail high.

I asked our behavorist...she said not to worry. It only means that Zoe is confident.

I have no issues w/her.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts