Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I feel strongly about.
This was in my email box today.

From the HAYS DAILY NEWS by R. W. Yeager, Norton, Ks.

We need to show more sympathy for these people. They travel miles in the
heat, they risk their lives crossing a border, they don't get paid enough
wages, they do jobs that others won't do or are afraid to do, they live in
crowded conditions among a people who speak a different language, they
rarely see their families, and they face adversity all day, every day.

I'm not talking about illegal Mexicans, I'm talking about our troops.
Doesn't it seem strange that the Democrats are willing to lavish all kinds
of social benefits on illegals, but don't support our troops and are now
threatening to defund them?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lack of funding wont make the troops hurry up and come home. It'll get them killed.
Believe me, I want the troops to come home as much as anyone.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
dweck said:
I'm starting to think I have no idea what it means to 'support the troops' at all anymore.....
You and a million other folks, Dan. I don't know what to believe anymore.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
This whole situation just makes my blood boil! Just sunday while at work I had the opportunity to "triage" a nice kid, home on leave- had rolled his ankle while playing basketball with some friends. He had gone to the local out pt. clinic, and they had refused to take care of him because he had military ins. and in their words it "takes forever for them pay"- He actually felt bad for coming to the ER. "I know its not an emergency", but his leave was over at wks. end and he was heading back to do his job for the U.S. Marine core and really needed to have the ankle looked at! Do you know how many illegal immigrants we take CARE of in a day, with free health care, and they could care less if they go to a ER or a clinic- in fact they see us as the "free clinic" as they should, because they get great care and pay nothing for it!! UGH-o.k I'm off my soap box- Jollymolly I'm with you on this one!! I also would like to add that everyone of my staff that came in contact with that young man thanked him for his service to our country! I hope he knows we meant it with all our hearts!!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JollyMolly said:
Lack of funding wont make the troops hurry up and come home. It'll get them killed.
Believe me, I want the troops to come home as much as anyone.
So will sending them into war w/ crappy equipment, no game plan, and keeping them there for a civil war. All of that spells Mission Accomplished to me.

·
Registered
738 Posts
dipete said:
This whole situation just makes my blood boil! Just sunday while at work I had the opportunity to "triage" a nice kid, home on leave- had rolled his ankle while playing basketball with some friends. He had gone to the local out pt. clinic, and they had refused to take care of him because he had military ins. and in their words it "takes forever for them pay"- He actually felt bad for coming to the ER. "I know its not an emergency", but his leave was over at wks. end and he was heading back to do his job for the U.S. Marine core and really needed to have the ankle looked at! Do you know how many illegal immigrants we take CARE of in a day, with free health care, and they could care less if they go to a ER or a clinic- in fact they see us as the "free clinic" as they should, because they get great care and pay nothing for it!! UGH-o.k I'm off my soap box- Jollymolly I'm with you on this one!! I also would like to add that everyone of my staff that came in contact with that young man thanked him for his service to our country! I hope he knows we meant it with all our hearts!!
That is sad and horrble. I just get angry when political parties are thrown around. There is one guy who heads it all and he doesn't seem to give a rat's ass either.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I completely understand that. Tricare (military insurance) is nicknamed "try to get care" I had my second child before the medical expenses were paid on my first child. Yet my neighbor down the street is a Native American with out a job due to his own laziness and has better medical treatment than I do . (Nothing against Natives)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is really rather ironic that when we sent our troops into Iraq with no bulletproof vests (families had to provide them for their soldiers) and with inadequately armored vehicles to travel in (soldiers jury rigged "armor" from wrecks found along the road) --- no one in Congress owned those failings. Now there is a purely political ploy in the works to advance the debate about ending this war.... and it is being couched as the Democrats abandoning (not supporting) the troops.

Didn't we do this before --- like in the late 60's and early 70's??? I just hope that there can be some resolution to this before the country is ripped apart once more.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I believe the war effort has enough funding to continue at a full level of funding until some time in July. Elections have consequences. Regardless of whether you voted Democrat or Republican you likely understand that the legislative branch is not there to do whatever the White House tells it do to. I'm sure a compromise will be hashed out and the money, in some form of another, will reach the military.

My personal opinion is rather simple. I tend to agree that a full and rapid withdrawal would be a disaster and would not support that. I think the days of blank checks for both Bush and the Iraqis need to end, however. Every dollar spent on the war should have oversight, benchmarks, and strings attached. We're going to be at year 5 of this thing soon. When are the Iraqis going to "stand up", as W. says? This whole 2 month vacation crap we're hearing from the Iraqi parliament is really troubling to me. At what point do we declare these people not serious enough for the job and stop pouring American lives and dollars into their country?

I have to put reality and common sense before party here. If the Democrats are the ones who want to start extending oversight, accountability, and benchmarks into this war effort..I have to support them on it.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Robin said:
I believe the war effort has enough funding to continue at a full level of funding until some time in July. Elections have consequences. Regardless of whether you voted Democrat or Republican you likely understand that the legislative branch is not there to do whatever the White House tells it do to. I'm sure a compromise will be hashed out and the money, in some form of another, will reach the military.

My personal opinion is rather simple. I tend to agree that a full and rapid withdrawal would be a disaster and would not support that. I think the days of blank checks for both Bush and the Iraqis need to end, however. Every dollar spent on the war should have oversight, benchmarks, and strings attached. We're going to be at year 5 of this thing soon. When are the Iraqis going to "stand up", as W. says? This whole 2 month vacation crap we're hearing from the Iraqi parliament is really troubling to me. At what point do we declare these people not serious enough for the job and stop pouring American lives and dollars into their country?

I have to put reality and common sense before party here. If the Democrats are the ones who want to start extending oversight, accountability, and benchmarks into this war effort..I have to support them on it.
I agree. I also want to point out that it is a shame the care we give to Vets..ie Walter Reed, but that is not this administrations problem. That has been a long time coming.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
kym said:
dipete said:
That is sad and horrble. I just get angry when political parties are thrown around. There is one guy who heads it all and he doesn't seem to give a rat's ass either.
I wasnt blaming one party or the other- But I have heard no one on the left or right that is willing to do anything more to protect our borders, and at least make sure the men and women in the armed forces have the tools they need to do thier job and the same benefits/privilages as thoughs that are here illegally. I do not think we should be looking for an early out from Iraq, but it is time or past time for the Iraq's to step up and start leaning on themselves more and us a whole lot less.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
JollyMolly said:
I Yet my neighbor down the street is a Native American with out a job due to his own laziness and has better medical treatment than I do . (Nothing against Natives)
If you've 'nothing against natives', why mention his ethnicity at all?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I am voting for Robin!!!! Such a poorly planned war that was ridiculous to start in the first place. Go into the Afghanastan absolutely, but Iraq? COME ON!!! To pin it on the democrats is utterly ridiculous and doesn't surprise me out of the mouth of a republican. How can you sit there and type that out without looking at the short comings of Bush and his clan. Even Republicans are pulling away from him and throwing up their hands. In best John Stossel voice "GIVE ME A BREAK". ::)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
kaytris said:
JollyMolly said:
I Yet my neighbor down the street is a Native American with out a job due to his own laziness and has better medical treatment than I do . (Nothing against Natives)
If you've 'nothing against natives', why mention his ethnicity at all?
Because he falls under a Native American Health Care act. He can sit at home and do nothing and get better health care than my husband because he is Native American.
(I also know plenty of Natives who are out trying to make ends meet and their health care benefits help them out) I'm just saying that there is something wrong with someone laying around home getting better coverage than my husband who is fighting a war.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts