Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
We have a few confirmed deaths from it in Michigan now. I think it has been reported in every state. I am wondering what the fall flu season will bring.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Almost 400 cases locally. Working in the ER makes me a bit nervous sometimes. Some of our staff has gotten it. The pandemic is expected to continue into & through the fall. We have direct orders that is we have symptoms (fever with cough, fatigue, etc) to stay home for 7 full days so as not to risk infecting anyone else.

The problem is, in MY opinion, people aren't staying hiome when they have it. "Blah blah blah sick days", "Blah blah blah, have to go to work/school". NO. If you have H1N1 (swine flu) you need to keep your ass home. Do not go to work, do not go to school, do not go to church, do not go to the market, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

STAY HOME for 7 days. It's called quarrantine, and they need to bring it back. There is no reason you have to leave your home and make others sick, possibly causing them to die (the very young, elderly, people with compromised immune systems, respiratory conditions, etc)
People need to treat it more seriously than they are. Chances are you will be just fine, but it is HIGHLY contagious. Highly. We have to put on masks when we register & treat patients suspected if H1N1, and they have an isolation waiting room for them.

If you get sick, Do NOT pass it on. Stay home. No one wants it, and you could be doing great harm to someone. Most people will not get any sicker than with a regular flu...which still kills people, mind you. But for some, this is deadly. Have common sense and stay home until you are well.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
3 summer camps here in Ontario have been stricken with it. I think something like 275 kids have been infected with it.

But other than that- I am not sure how it is doing in the rest of Ontario.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
We don't have any "Swine Flu" in Newbrassky, we have H1N1.;) Our Governor
has ordered it as such. The calling it "Swine Flu" even though it has nothing to do with the swine industry has cost the farmers in our state big bucks as the demand for pork and hence the price dropped.

·
Registered
830 Posts
We have had some instances of having it in our daycamps here.
Not in my daycamp though. I had one staff with it before camps started.

IMO, I think the problem is that people who aren't experiencing symptoms are passing it on.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
We have a few confirmed deaths from it in Michigan now. I think it has been reported in every state. I am wondering what the fall flu season will bring.
I heard that it is supposed to be a bad flu season. I have never gotten a flu shot, but I probably will this year. :eek:

·
Registered
10,719 Posts

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Almost 400 cases locally. Working in the ER makes me a bit nervous sometimes. Some of our staff has gotten it. The pandemic is expected to continue into & through the fall. We have direct orders that is we have symptoms (fever with cough, fatigue, etc) to stay home for 7 full days so as not to risk infecting anyone else.

The problem is, in MY opinion, people aren't staying hiome when they have it. "Blah blah blah sick days", "Blah blah blah, have to go to work/school". NO. If you have H1N1 (swine flu) you need to keep your ass home. Do not go to work, do not go to school, do not go to church, do not go to the market, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

STAY HOME for 7 days. It's called quarrantine, and they need to bring it back. There is no reason you have to leave your home and make others sick, possibly causing them to die (the very young, elderly, people with compromised immune systems, respiratory conditions, etc)
People need to treat it more seriously than they are. Chances are you will be just fine, but it is HIGHLY contagious. Highly. We have to put on masks when we register & treat patients suspected if H1N1, and they have an isolation waiting room for them.

If you get sick, Do NOT pass it on. Stay home. No one wants it, and you could be doing great harm to someone. Most people will not get any sicker than with a regular flu...which still kills people, mind you. But for some, this is deadly. Have common sense and stay home until you are well.
I really wish others would follow that advice, some people I know of have been going out "because they have to"..no wonder its spreading so fast!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I seriously must live in another world, I work in an ER, we have had one case- no one is doing anything different- its the flu! If your sick stay home, wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands, and wear a mask if you wish. We have 1000's of cases of the flu a year, many strains that are much stronger and cause more problems especially for the little ones and the elders, you should, and we do practice the same every single day. I don't know about anyone else, but we work as if we never know whats coming through the door 365 days a year!:)

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
I seriously must live in another world, I work in an ER, we have had one case- no one is doing anything different- its the flu! If your sick stay home, wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands, and wear a mask if you wish. We have 1000's of cases of the flu a year, many strains that are much stronger and cause more problems especially for the little ones and the elders, you should, and we do practice the same every single day. I don't know about anyone else, but we work as if we never know whats coming through the door 365 days a year!:)

It is not widespread everywhere. It is spreading rather quickly here, hence the extra precautions & pushing the "common sense" messages like staying home when you are ill.

The flu is in your breath/particulate. Just by coughing without covering your mouth you contaminate those near you. It should be common sense to isolate yourself. sadly, it is not. We had numerous ER nurses out with it & 2 ER docs. ER docs are not a dime a dozen, and we cannot afford 2 of sick for a week each, so we insist if you enter our facility with a fever accompanied by a cough or chills, etc, mask up. When we serve you, we mask up as well & disinfect all common surfaces like keyboards, desks, doorknobs. we the isolate these patients in a seperate waiting area so they don't make the rest of our patients & staff sick. Common sense.

You must have a higher population of people with common sense than we do, Di. ;)

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
It is not widespread everywhere. It is spreading rather quickly here, hence the extra precautions & pushing the "common sense" messages like staying home when you are ill.

The flu is in your breath/particulate. Just by coughing without covering your mouth you contaminate those near you. It should be common sense to isolate yourself. sadly, it is not. We had numerous ER nurses out with it & 2 ER docs. ER docs are not a dime a dozen, and we cannot afford 2 of sick for a week each, so we insist if you enter our facility with a fever accompanied by a cough or chills, etc, mask up. When we serve you, we mask up as well & disinfect all common surfaces like keyboards, desks, doorknobs. we the isolate these patients in a seperate waiting area so they don't make the rest of our patients & staff sick. Common sense.

You must have a higher population of people with common sense than we do, Di. ;)
Ohh I wouldn't say that!!:D When it first started we had family's bringing in all the kids "just in case" holy crap go home!! We handed out informational flyer's, and that seemed to help. I've been off for about 2 weeks, but before vacation, cases of anyone coming in with the "flu" were way down! I know it will be picking back up when all the germanators get back in school!;)

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Ohh I wouldn't say that!!:D When it first started we had family's bringing in all the kids "just in case" holy crap go home!! We handed out informational flyer's, and that seemed to help. I've been off for about 2 weeks, but before vacation, cases of anyone coming in with the "flu" were way down! I know it will be picking back up when all the germanators get back in school!;)
We have a 1-888 info line for H1N1, as well as a website through Capital District Health Authority.

What gets me, is the dumbasses that come to the ER, they "think they have it", and then they procede to sit in the waiting area with their mask half on their faces. ASSHOLES! Go home & get better. I had an idiot the other day refuse to mask up. He had flu symptoms, and I told him put it on or leave. We had a little girl on chemo in our waiting room who had sprained or broken her finger playing in her yard. That's all she needed, H1N1 with a chemo-suppressed immune system.

People just don't think past themselves, sometimes. it's all about "me".

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
We have a 1-888 info line for H1N1, as well as a website through Capital District Health Authority.

What gets me, is the dumbasses that come to the ER, they "think they have it", and then they procede to sit in the waiting area with their mask half on their faces. ASSHOLES! Go home & get better. I had an idiot the other day refuse to mask up. He had flu symptoms, and I told him put it on or leave. We had a little girl on chemo in our waiting room who had sprained or broken her finger playing in her yard. That's all she needed, H1N1 with a chemo-suppressed immune system.

People just don't think past themselves, sometimes. it's all about "me".
So true, they dont care if your taking care of cardiac pts, trauma pts, nope its all about " why do I have to wait so long" Its because you don't belong here in the first place asshat!! I especially like it when the parents don't want to make their kids where the little masks, because "they don't like it" same ones who can't get there kids to take tylenol so they bring them to the ER:rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
So true, they dont care if your taking care of cardiac pts, trauma pts, nope its all about " why do I have to wait so long" Its because you don't belong here in the first place asshat!! I especially like it when the parents don't want to make their kids where the little masks, because "they don't like it" same ones who can't get there kids to take tylenol so they bring them to the ER:rolleyes:

*SIGH*

I know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts