Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your advise!

We are looking at buy this house which we both love. However, our main concern is that it has a pool. I know that pools can be a real hassle being time consuming and expensive.

I just wanted your input on running costs if we manage it ourselves and what maintenance is involved. I am not planning on heating it since it would not get used too much. It does have a cover and a heating bubble blanket thingy to warm it up in the summer.

My other question is what happens if Dex jumps in - how will fur affect the filter etc?

Any other advice would be much appreciated. At the moment we are thinking it may be a deal breaker for us.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
We have friends with pools and dogs. I am not sure about operating costs, but I have never heard them complain about problems with dog hair and all of their dogs swim. I have a friend with Goldens, and her dogs use the pool more than they do. Only one of our friends have a heated pool, the others just have "heating bubble blanket thingies".

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
One thing I have read about dogs and pools is you have to train the dog to know where the exit steps are so they can get out if the decide to go swimming without you.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
First of all, the question is not IF Dex jumps in. Each spring after it warms up a bit, I ask the dogs if they want to go swimming. Despite the fact that they haven't heard the word 'Swimming' in five or six months, they run for the back door like I've told a five year old that it's Christmas morning.

We also do not heat because it gets warm enough here that we don't need to. We have a pool boy who takes care of everything for $100 a month. They probably come a lot cheaper in other areas of the country; California is going to be high for everything, including pool boys.

Pool boy would rather the dogs didn't swim because of the hair, but I pretty much told him that they were going to swim and that was just the way it is. I do skim the top when they are finished to get the majority of the hair out and that seems to do enough to keep the system from seizing up due to excessive dog.

If you really enjoy swimming, then I wouldn't let it stop you. If swimming isn't really your thing, then I think it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
One thing I have read about dogs and pools is you have to train the dog to know where the exit steps are so they can get out if the decide to go swimming without you.
They figure that out in the first six seconds. Not a concern at all.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I need your advise!

We are looking at buy this house which we both love. However, our main concern is that it has a pool. I know that pools can be a real hassle being time consuming and expensive.

I just wanted your input on running costs if we manage it ourselves and what maintenance is involved. I am not planning on heating it since it would not get used too much. It does have a cover and a heating bubble blanket thingy to warm it up in the summer.

My other question is what happens if Dex jumps in - how will fur affect the filter etc?

Any other advice would be much appreciated. At the moment we are thinking it may be a deal breaker for us.

Thanks!
Dave, I guess the first question is what kind of pool... above ground or in-ground.

I know Susan (Seawolf Labs) has a concrete in-ground, which her pups love!!! I think Thunders Mom is right, they put a piece of nylon stocking the filter somewhere to catch the dog hair so it does not clog up the filter.

If it is an above-ground or an in-ground with a liner, I would be hesitant to let the dogs in, as their nails could rip the liner. Replacing the liner is a PITA, I've helped my parents do it to their above ground pool.

Pools in general are not hard to maintain yourself, the biggest thing is keeping the chemical levels right & vacuuming it. My dad checks their pool water at least once a week, adding more chlorine and other stuff as needed to keep the water crystal clear. He also vacuums it once a week. It is when the levels get out of whack, that you risk getting algae, etc. I'd have to ask my dad what they spend a year in chemicals. I know my parents also have a timer on their pool filter, so it does not run all day long, since the electric to run the filter could be a big hit. Their timer is set to run only long enough to recycle the pool water 1 time.

The bubble thingy, aka solar cover, is great to use early in the season to get the water up to a reasonable temperature. I don't know about you, but I actually like the pool water a little chilly. My parents... not so much, they'd rather have it like bath-water. *ick*

·
Registered
21,292 Posts
Wendy WHO? :suspicious:

Is there something you've forgotten to tell us Colin? :twitch: :ear:
Poor uninformed Garthy ! No need to be suspicious or twitchy and it's no use holding your hand to your ear either !

See if somebody else will tell you :) I've been here a looooong time

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WOW - thankyou for all the great responses and great advice!

Sorry I should have said...The pool is in-ground and it has a liner. The current owners have said the liner would need replacing in 12-18 months. Cost is around $4,500.

I love swimming but my wife does not.

Not sure what we'll do at the moment!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
My inlaws have an inground pool. And really other than opening it and closing it, there is not much timewise that needs to be done. They have a vacuum that you just put in the pool and away it goes. They test the water weekly or so, add chemicals when needed. Etc, etc. We all love it! My FIL, who can be a bit of a money worrier, never ever complains about the cost of running the pool. Theirs is not heated. And they've had to replace the liner twice in the last 12 years. And even then, he doesn't complain!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Its really not that big. I am only going on what they said. It would be great if its less!
When it comes to the pool liners, just watch the "mils" or the thickness of the liner. You might get off cheaper initially by going with the thinner liner, but in the long run that could cost you by having to replace it sooner.

My parents always go a little more expensive to get the heavier duty liner, then, short of something highly unusual, they do not have to replace it as often.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
We have an inground pool and we love it. The dogs swim in it pretty much every day from spring to fall (although it is fenced now since we have Darby). Dog hair has never been a real problem, the filters get it before it gets to the pump and it takes just a few seconds to empty them out. We also have the vacuum that runs a few hours a day, so maintenance is minimal (my hubby does all the maintenance). Our pool is saltwater so we don't need to add chorine, but it is easy to keep up with the chemicals. About twice a year the big filters need to be cleaned, and that takes a few hours. I saw the other comments on the liner, our pool doesn't have a liner and I can't picture one on an inground pool. Maybe they're just not used here (southern CA).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.