Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad had to euthanize his best friend, Gus, yesterday. Gus, whom Dad rescued 3 years ago, was a BulldogX who was literally the sweetest dog to walk the face of the Earth.

Yes, Gus was that sweet. Despite the fact that when Dad rescued him he was found emaciated, wandering aimlessly down a TN country road, filled with buckshot and a crushed jaw. Oh, and blind. Completely and 100% blind. Veterinarians suspect that the blow to the jaw (probably a swift kick) was what caused his corneas to detach, causing his blindness as well.

Gus hit it big when he found his forever home with my Dad. A warm, soft bed to sleep in. The best food (maybe too much of it??) money can buy. 24 hour loving companionship. Gus was the office dog, greeting the visitors to Dad's office with a wag of his tail and a slurp of his unusually long tongue. At the end of the day, Gus was loaded up in the back of Dad's vehicle, and home he would go, to enjoy loving attention there as well.

Gus was a repeated visitor at our house. Whenever business dictated that dad was out of town, Gus would take up residence here. Usually on the couch. He was Piper's best friend. She played with him totally differently then she did the other dogs. And he would walk around with his mouth wide open, hoping to make contact with her. It was hysterical.

So, sweet dreams dear Gus. While we are relieved that the pain is over for you, we ache from your loss. See you on the other side, kiddo.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I'm really sorry for your dad's loss, and yours Anne.

I remember when you first posted Gus's story - I think the first time you dog sat him maybe.

Godspeed Gus.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I'm so sorry. He looks like the sweetest dog.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Your dad was a true angel to Gus. Rest in peace Gus you are one of the cutest faces I have ever seen.
Prayers and hugs to your dad.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss and your Dad's loss Anne. Gus was so lucky to have had you all in his life. Rest in peace sweet guy.

·
Banned
2,041 Posts
Im very sorry . Its **** hard loosing them . :(

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Oh I am so sorry. I remember you posting before about him playing with your Lab. What a special boy he was. Run free Gus!

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks so much, everyone. Dad is having a really hard time. All of us here understand because we are all so involved, so responsible for our animals. He is no exception. I think maybe even more so because Gus, due to his disability, was so dependent upon dad. And I believe the sentiment was returned.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
so sorry to hear this. Gus looks a lovely dog and his last few years where no doubt his happiest, your dad is a good man and my thoughts are with him. RIP Gus.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Awww sweet Gus. Run free sweet boy. I'm so sorry for you and your dad. Gus had the best life with your dad and your dad with him. {{{HUGS}}}

1 - 20 of 26 Posts