Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the link you posted about Lumiere makeup.

How do you know what colors to get?
Do you order it from the website?

I'm totally interested in this stuff. I have to use a hypo-allergenic make-up due to my dye allergies, and mineral makeup is even better.

TIA

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hi!

Let me give you a little background - I tried Bare Minerals - and while I loved the concept, and I loved their mineral veil, my flawless complexion would become oh so shiny and nasty.....so i googled - and found a whole world of crazy people out there - makeup boards and everything! I must say, I still buy and use the mineral veil though - I have a pot at work and use the lumiere stuff at home.

I discovered that there were a ton of smaller companies producing the same type of products, for alot less money. In addition, many of these smaller companies actually will sell you samples for a very reasonable price. So rather than spending a ton of money on products that you will never use, or colors that don't work, you can try smaller amounts......this is especially great for eyeshadows - seriously, the little pots of eyeshadow that you buy from Bare Minerals will last you until you are 102 years old.....

So.....I tried a bunch of different companies. Some trial and error on colors and formulas, but at sample prices, far less than the money I have wasted on Clinique, Lancome and Estee Lauder products that made me break out into hives or broke me out or made me look greasy...

And there were several who had products that i really really like.

And now for the link portion of our program:

A forum with alot of great information on different companies and techniques:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=mineralmania&nav=start&prettyurl=/mineralmania

Companies that I like other than Lumiere:

http://www.barefacedminerals.com/
http://www.valeriebeauty.com/index.cfm/fa/categories.main/parentcat/14338
http://aromaleigh.com/

and many others...

Many of these are privately owned - and the owners WANT your business - so they will respond via email and help you get the colors and formulas that work for you.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow- there's so much to it! I'm a complete makeup idiot- I know NOTHING. The blush I have was one of my mom's rejects from about 10 years ago (no lie).

I think I just never wear makeup because I don't know how to work it. When I DO wear it, I smush on some foundation, some eye shadow, some blush and then mascara and that's it. I have no idea if I'm doing it in the proper order or places, or anything.

So, let's pretend I don't have any makeup at all (not very hard, sadly). What do I need most? I'm 22 and have pretty good skin and skin tone. I do get oily/greasy in my t-zone.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
You need to get together with yellalablady (monnie). She sells Mary Kay. She can come to you and get you going with the makeup that works best for you. I love Mary Kay products. They have stuff for ALL skin types and certainly will have something you'd like. Yes, this is a plug for Monnie's Mary Kay ;) But seriously, if you need help with using makeup, give Monnie a call ;)

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
She's also low pressure and won't force you to buy anything. And if you do buy from her, she is very generous with samples. She recently gave me some really cool lip balm that has sparkles in it, and I LOVE it :)

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll have to PM her sometime soon. That lip balm sounds like good stuff. I really need to figure out my colors and such.

Do you know if the Mary Kay is hypo-allergenic? I'm allergic to certain dyes, so the more natural the makeup, the better,

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Oh excellent! This thread is great :)

I am a total make-up illiterate. I am 24 and rarely wear make up because I have no clue how to! Also, I have skin that easily breaks out! can't use something that is greasy or my face succumbs to zits and hives ::) ::)

Must check out the sites Suzie posted. Thanks Suzie!

·
Registered
659 Posts
I used to love Mary Kay and they really are excellent products. Dawn uses it and her face always looks very nice and not made up at all. I dont have a MK person around here - but would not rule out truying agin in the future.

My skin is just weird with the rosacea and stuff.....so this mineral stuff has been perfect for me.....I am so not a girly girl - my skincare and makeup routine is pretty minimalist - that mineral makeup forum taught me alot!

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cooper said:
My skin is just weird with the rosacea and stuff.....so this mineral stuff has been perfect for me.....I am so not a girly girl - my skincare and makeup routine is pretty minimalist - that mineral makeup forum taught me alot!
I'll definitely have to look at that forum. I don't have rosacea, but I am EXTREMELY allergic to dyes, so I have to be careful with my makeup.

Also...I have no interest in having a 20 minute makeup routine. If I wear it, I'd like to slap it on and go.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
yeah I don't like much make up either...just enough to cover up the flaws. Unfortunately, sometimes covering up the flaws creates bigger flaws!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts