Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
What kind of car have you got, Colin?

I'd love an SUV but I can't afford to run one. ::)

I agree with the ramp suggestion. You could fold it up and keep in the back of your car for as and when needed.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trickster said:

I agree with the ramp suggestion. You could fold it up and keep in the back of your car for as and when needed.
I have a Mondeo Estate ! Enough room in the back for four dogs !

I thought about the ramp but I'm not sure he would use it and I would fork out £100 to find out. That looks really steep to get into the SUV and I think he would still have a problem with that !

BTW Veronica - he's no trouble to lift if it's only his back legs !

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Are they really £100? you might want to shop around...I have seen them for cheaper then that. You could even make one yourself. I am sure he could be trained to use it with food or something...food is the way to a Labradors heart afterall. ;)

I can't really think of another solution. How heavy is Samson??

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trickster said:
Are they really £100? you might want to shop around...I have seen them for cheaper then that. You could even make one yourself. I am sure he could be trained to use it with food or something...food is the way to a Labradors heart afterall. ;)

I can't really think of another solution. How heavy is Samson??
He's about 43kg Rosie and constantly on a diet

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
we have a ramp just like the one pictured above. i have a nitro and abbey is 7 and a little overweight (she enjoys life just sitting in the front yard and watching cinder run laps around her). i bought it at petsmart and it was a little over $100.00 but well worth it because abbey can get in with just a little help with her back end. i'm sure when cinder gets older, she'll need to use it. right now, she looks like tigger off whinney the pooh and just hops right in.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
When Maxie wasn't as limber,I made an inexpensive folding ramp for her. It stored in my truck behind the seat. She loved going for rides, regardless of how lame she was getting.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Angus is 8 months old an 70lb and I have to lift him to. No fun after the lake :p. I am hoping he'll learn to jump, put it's pretty high.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Trickster said:

My SUV (Nissan X-Trail) is a 4 cylinder and takes about $10 more to fill than my Sentra did.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Emma can jump easily in and out but we don't want Aidan to try it yet. His growth plates aren't closed yet, so I only take him in the car when I have my son or DH with to help him in and out.
One of those ramps would be nice. We also have a 15 year old dog who can't make the jump anymore. But he is light compared to the labs.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trickster said:
He's about 43kg Rosie and constantly on a diet
Crikey...what a big boy. I can see why you might struggle to lift him.

Are his joints troubling him? are you give him any supplements?
He is on PLT's but no supplements !

You know they help ?

You are right about the ramps - I did a bit of research and the cheapest longest widest are about £70.00 including delivery.

Some of the rubbish they are selling on these sites !

I bought a dog hammock about a month back and it lasted a week ! Jasper's paw went through it !

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tuckersmom said:
I bought a dog hammock about a month back and it lasted a week !
A dog hammock??!? Geeze, what a rough life your two lead!
Well it wasn't so much for comfort but to protect the back of my car !

Some hope

Oh BTW you are right - they have a hard life !

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Hmm. Interesting. Never heard of PLT. Is it a joint supplement?

I don't use either of the two things I said. The green lipped mussel extract is expensive but I know it can work wonders for dogs with joint issues. The glucosamine is also very beneficial and usually it it is much cheaper.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trickster said:
Hmm. Interesting. Never heard of PLT. Is it a joint supplement?

I don't use either of the two things I said. The green lipped mussel extract is expensive but I know it can work wonders for dogs with joint issues. The glucosamine is also very beneficial and usually it it is much cheaper.
I bought some anyway

They were only £6 for 360

I'll try anything to help the old boy ! THe PLT's cost around £30 per month but they stopped him wobbling

I ppick up his prescritopn tonight so I'll check that the two are compatible first

Thanks Rosie

1 - 20 of 30 Posts