Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in our kitchen we have an outlet with one of those ground things, it has a test/reset button on it - I forget what they're called. Anyway, the light over the sink is connected to the same circuit as that outlet, as well as the toaster oven (rarely used, always unplugged), and I believe the ceiling fan and the microwave (unplugged when not in use). So here's the thing.

Over the last month or so, I'll walk into the kitchen to do something and I hear "click" from the outlet and the light over the sink goes off. It's usually right when I walk in too, not after I've been in there for a period of time. I have to hit the reset button in order for it to come back on. This never happens to my husband, or any other time, just when I'm in there. That light is always on.......during the night, and it was during the day until I started shutting it off recently before I leave for work. It's never gone off in the middle of the night or during the day when no one is home.

I've always believed in the afterlife and the supernatural. Heck, my favorite show is Ghost Hunters! :D So of course, my first thought is someone is trying to contact me or give me a message. Loony? Yea, maybe. But I've been thinking an awful lot lately about Aunt & Unk who have passed, as well as my Grammy and my Mom.

Am I looney, or is this simply an electical problem that needs attention ASAP? :eek:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Wouldn't your husband know the answer to that?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldn't your husband know the answer to that?
Why? He's not an electrician and knows barely anything about electrical stuff. That's why we hired an electrician to do wiring years ago.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Why? He's not an electrician and knows barely anything about electrical stuff. That's why we hired an electrician to do wiring years ago.
Because I have friends who are in construction and know at least a little something about electrical stuff.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Dunno. But if you start posting about removing the bricking from your fireplace, unearthing a locked steel door behind the masonry, I'm coming to Califon straightaway and rescuing you!!!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He does know a little about electrical...he can do basic wiring, etc., but isn't stupid enough to mess with stuff that a licensed electrian should be doing.

LOL Dan and Shelly! :D

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
I would find out ASAP if it was electrical as you don't want a fire inside the walls starting.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Amy, I would get an electrician out there pdq. Your outlet is flipping off because of either a short somewhere or too much on one circuit.

Just my opinion--not an electrician here.

I had a situation where my AC would kick on for no reason. Even when it was shut off. It was freezing us out of the house. Short in the thermostat wiring--so even though the switch said OFF--it wasn't really.

You really don't want an electrical fire in the walls of your house.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
The outlet you have is a ground fault interupter (GFI) All kitchens and baths should have that type of circuit protection. It's odd that the light circuit is on the GFI circuit but not totally uncommon, especially if added on later. Every load after the GFI is protected by this which includes the light.

GFI's trip when there is the slightest reading of a power lead going to ground or neutral. I would look at the light first. Lighting has stranded wire that can have a stray strand touching off to ground. secondly I would look at the GFI outlet, the slightest loose connection can set these off. Sometimes just the movement(vibration) of walking can set them off. The third thing I would check is the wiring connections down stream for loose connections.

Sorry no ghosts just a GFI doing it's job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts