Just Labradors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone eat them? Do you eat the shells?

I never much cared for them, seems like way too much work for way too little reward when you take the shell off and find that tiny little kernel in there. I just got a pound of ranch-seasoned sunflower seeds and of course the seasoning is on the shell. Is it safe to eat the shells?

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Some do, some don't, to sharp and rough for me.

I like them, but it's too much work, then I found out most times they are cheaper by weight already shelled and you don't have to do the work and there is no waste.:D

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I would not have bought them, but they were a freebie with my pound of oriental snack mix. So, I wanted to know if I can eat the shells, because if they are not safe to eat, the whole pound is going out for the birds!

I wonder if cardinals like ranch-flavored sunflower seeds?

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Just suck the seeds, crack them open, eat the kernels, and spit the shells. It's not hard to do, really. You can eat the shells but it's pretty gross.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I LOVE sunflower seeds - only developed a taste for them by mistake though - my rescue parrots get donated food sometimes and cheap parrot food uses a lot of sunflower seeds - sunflowers are high in fat so bad for captive birds generally - at least in large amounts - so I pick the sunflower seeds out of the cheap mixes - and eat them

I wouldn't eat the shells honestly - no taste really but I shell them by splitting them with my teeth .. so you'd get the ranch dressing thing

also suspect the birds wouldn't mind the topping either tho ;)

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
What Allie said. I do like them but don't eat the shells, too sharp. I also find that most are extremely salty so I order some unsalted and some salted and combine them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I like sunflower seeds... I buy them shelled and unsalted.. I eat them as a snack or a topping on my salad... YUM :D

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I only eat them when I travel...it keeps me awake and alert on a long drive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts