Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with Sun Conures?
Jeffrey put in an application to get a mated, bonded pair from a bird rescue. He had love birds when he was younger and misses having birds. Will the fact that this pair is bonded to one another make it better or worse?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Sigh....wish I could help, but I am not bird savy. I would LOVE to get an african grey, but Sam says NO birds in this house. :(

Let me know if he gets the birds though. I think they are fascinating

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
oooo!! mememe!!

We have had a few sun conures at the spca... word to the wise:

They are LOUD! holy-my-ears-still-hurt kinda loud!!! ;)
They can bite HARD (WEAR GLOVES when handling them for the first time - thick ones!) (note on this, some bird people will say "no gloves, this just teaches them to bite harder.. etc." IMO, it teaches them that they can bite you all they want and you will not let go, which is what they are trying to make you do. if they bite without gloves, it is VERY hard to not let go (while cursing loudly!)!!)
I've met some that are really friendly and sucky and cute, and some that are really not (bitey!), so I think it very much depends on how they are raised, treated, etc.

All in all, best of luck!! They are very smart and can learn tricks and such... none of the ones I've known have really been talkers though.

Have fun! ;D ;D

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Oh, I forgot!

Make sure the cage is as large as is possible and that they have LOTS of bird-safe toys. They might not touch them for a little while while they get used to the new environment, but all conures are known for loving (and destroying - so have more ready!) toys!

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
WeHeartLabs said:
Does anyone have any experience with Sun Conures?
Jeffrey put in an application to get a mated, bonded pair from a bird rescue. He had love birds when he was younger and misses having birds. Will the fact that this pair is bonded to one another make it better or worse?
Sorry I didn't really answer your question did I? Silly me... :-[

It will make it "better" in that you will not need to spend as much time interacting with them, because they have each other. (If there was only one then you would have to be it's "mate" and a happy parrot requires HOURS of interaction a day in that circumstance)

It will make it a little harder though, because you'll have to spend a lot more time developing a bond with each bird than you would if there was only uno... because their bond to each other is so strong!!

Hope that helps, sorry for the disjointed posts! :)

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Meet Sponge Bob my Sun Conure. He/She can be loud when he/she wants, but I really don't notice. It's not that bad because he/she doesn't do it all the time.
As far as a bonded pair, they will probably only be bonded to each other and not make good hands on pets. They are beautiful birds. And very smart.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you ALL so much...all of this is great information. Especially because he wants to keep the birds in his bedroom upstairs...down the hall from our room. Problem is, since he got the lizard which requires 2 heat lamps going at ALL times, he cant sleep in that room and dragged his bed down to the bedroom in the basement! So he wont be the one hearing them in the mornings... WE will ::)

I think, for a first time bird owner he should get a younger, solo bird. But, he is set on rescusing these 2. I want him to find out why they were brought to the rescue. And also why they want 350$ :eek: But they do come with the cage and some supplies.

Paula he is gorgeous. Baloo...i do that ALL the time..answer someone then remember something and spam their whole thread ;D so dont worry! I appreciate the info. Stacy you'd say it was GREAT of i said he wanted a rattle snake in the house because the pair of you are thick as thieves and i know it! .... j/k..i think they are cool too.
But I read where they throw their food around...and he is not the tidiest of boys to begin with ::) :-\

1 - 10 of 10 Posts