Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The house I grew up in had a front door that we were never to use unless there was company over.

And a side door that we used all the time.

It had a screen on it.

And I can still hear it. Once you yanked it open, entered, and let go, you heard:

Fwsh... Wwsh.... Gwish.... kaWHAM!

How I'd love to hear that door again.

Enter the kitchen. Box fan is running because it's so hot. Corn on the cob is boiling in its pot. Hot dogs next to it.

Back outside after dinner. Finish the stickball game in the street. Wait for the ice cream guy. Finally, it's dark. Day's cooling off. Time for a quick wash of the face and brush of the teeth and into bed.

Fwsh... Wwsh.... Gish.... kaWHAM!

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Dan, sounds like my parent's house when I was a kid. Except for the hotdogs.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HAH! A pic of me at that door!!!!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I've said it before, you are an amazing story teller. I always feel like I'm right there when I read things like this. :)

Love that pic!!!!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Sounds like my house growing up. We never used the front door- ever. Even now when I go back to my parents, I'll walk past the front door to use the side door, which is located in the garage. :) It used to have a silver screen door. Man that thing took a beating over the years.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
To me, summer will always sound like crickets and cicadas.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Oh I remember a sound quite like that door. There is nothing like a good childhood memory. Every year when I plant my flowers and garden, the smell of the warm, damp earth transports me back to a time when I stayed with my grandma, & grandpa while mom and dad worked. My beautiful grandparents would plant/work their garden and let me help. That smell brings one of the best memories back every year without fail. Oh to be a kid again...

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh I remember a sound quite like that door. There is nothing like a good childhood memory. Every year when I plant my flowers and garden, the smell of the warm, damp earth transports me back to a time when I stayed with my grandma, & grandpa while mom and dad worked. My beautiful grandparents would plant/work their garden and let me help. That smell brings one of the best memories back every year without fail. Oh to be a kid again...
Aww.. What a great memory.

I know smell is said to be among the most powerful memory-triggers.

For me, though, I'm thinking it's sound. Maybe that's my foundation in music showing, but I find myself being pulled back in time more by sound than anything else.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cam: LOL!!!!

That door was hell later when I was a teenager. Come home after curfew and the thing would rat you out every time.

2am - Fwsh... Wwsh.... Gish.... kaWHAM!

...dammit...

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
They had those little hydraulic slider thingers that completely gave out for the last few inches of the door swing, causing the spring slam it shut with no resistance. I soon gave up on that door and resorted to leaving my bedroom window ajar. Fortunately, my room was on the ground floor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts