Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that summertime is here, Lexi loves to be outside. Since I telecommute to my job, that is fine her being outside. She usually just sleeps in the lawn or on the front porch. She is invisible fenced & in 4 years of being IF has crossed the boundry less than a half dozen times.

This year, for whatever reason, she has taken to digging up the mulch in my flower gardens. I suspect she likes to lay there because the mulch & dirt is cool. No matter how often I sweep it up, she tosses it all over the driveway at least 2x a day.

Any suggestions on what I can do about this, short of keeping her inside with me all day. When she's been in too long, she pesters me, so putting her outside saves my sanity especially when I am busy with work.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
How about giving her a place where she is allowed to dig? A sandbox is perfect, but if yo aren't up to that, fill a kiddie pool with sand or dirt.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Ditto. And be sure to keep the area that you dedicate for her "sandbox" cool and damp. With a little luck and a lot of perseverance you might even have a flower bed again. ;)

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
You might just have to deal with it. I have some very damp areas and that is where the dogs dig even if they are out for 5 minutes. I have to go check to see if they are in that corner of the yard, because if they are; they are gonna be digging for mud. And eating it! Always the same spots. Between that and digging for moles, my yard is a landmine.
Sounds like your girl is digging for somewhere to stay cool and that is "her" spot.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Go to Costco, Smart and Final, Sam's Club etc that sells industrial sizes of spices. Buy a bottle of cayenne pepper. Mix it back into the dirt you are filling in the whole plus a generous topping when the hole is filled. She will learn to avoid the area. Worked great on Cinnamon.

Plus I buried some of her favorite toys etc and let her see on the side of the house where she is allowed to dig. We still bury treats, toys etc there once a week. Both her and Cierra never dig anywhere else in the yard.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
sorry i wish i had some suggestions. Gracie digs in my yard too and when you catch her and correct her she lays on top of the hole...i think she thinks she is hiding it:). i am going to try the sand box thing like ***** mom suggested.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mixed some hot crushed red pepper flakes into the dirt in the spot, so we shall see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Put some of her poo in the garden under the mulch...guaranteed she will not dig there again. It is good fertilizer too for the flowers.
I second this idea (if the crushed red pepper doesn't work). Bauer used to dig in the yard, and I started putting his poop in these areas and he stopped.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
How about giving her a place where she is allowed to dig? A sandbox is perfect, but if yo aren't up to that, fill a kiddie pool with sand or dirt.

We put a sandbox for Indy, he loves the feeling of digging and likes the cool spot in the middle... so we gave him his own place... get one of those turtles or something you can cover though, if there are any stray cats or something coming through might bury "the bivots" in it...:eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts