Just Labradors banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I've taught Rally class for several years now, sporadically. Agility classes seem to fare much better in my area. Anyway, be prepared to teach heeling! Trust me, having a CGC is in no way going to have your beginners heeling. I always spend time working on heeling, keeping a loose leash, and team motivation. We do things like a "simon says" game where I'll call out commands and they have to do them. Last person to do them is "out". For example we'll go in a circle heeling, I call out "Down your dog". Last one to do it is out :)

Generally I do set up a course and we work at it, first by a walk thru and discussion of the signs and then with our dogs. I critique each student as they go.

I pay attention to the signs that are giving students the most difficulty, and we work on those in a line up (just line up the dogs and have everyone practice).

For grins and giggles, I sometimes like to mix up the dog/handlers too. I'll have them swap dogs and try to do part of the course, etc. Keep them on their toes :) And, it seems to really help their dogs pay more attention (when reunited with their owners, the dogs seem really more "up").

Hope some of these ideas have helped you. Have fun!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.