Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've trained for the most part with a prong collar with Moose. Just recently I've started using just a nylon martingale on him so that he gets used to it for the Delta testing we will do late April/early May. It really isn't the greatest training tool, but it is okay. I do miss the quick correction with the prong, but we are still progressing.

I wonder however if this is really the best option since I have never worked with a training collar besides the prong. Any suggestions? Would I actually just be better off going in with a flat collar for rally/obedience?

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I think the flat collar will give a quicker correction, since yo do not have to go through the extra loop's worth of slack before the dog feels it. If you do not have to worry about Moose slipping his flat collar, I would use that if it were me.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Magnum wore a nice rolled leather collar (until Ruger ate it... yes, he ATE her collar, all 18 inches of it...)
I show Ruger in a choke chain.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the flat collar will give a quicker correction, since yo do not have to go through the extra loop's worth of slack before the dog feels it
I'm going to work with Moose on a flat collar tonight because I do think you are right. I just have not liked the feel of the martingale.

I do have a choke collar that I bought a long time ago and never used so maybe I'll see how he responds to that as well.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Murray used to show in a nice leather choke collar thru Novice and Open. Now he shows in his "bling" (a gold hex chain choke). ;) Essy shows in a pretty silver hex chain choke.

You do need to wean dogs off the prong. You can do this by having both collars on the dog and either switching back and forth between them or use 2 leashes. A lot of people rely on the prong rather than teaching the dog the correct behavior and therefore the dog can never be off the prong.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You do need to wean dogs off the prong. You can do this by having both collars on the dog and either switching back and forth between them or use 2 leashes. A lot of people rely on the prong rather than teaching the dog the correct behavior and therefore the dog can never be off the prong.
I agree and that is why I switched to the martingale about 3 weeks ago, but I'm not that happy with it and was just looking for something that would work better. I like the idea of using a similar collar for training and the ring. My thinking is that he would then recognize what is expected and would respond better. Guess I'll take a few collars to class tonight and see what works best.

Right now I am only using the prong when walking both dogs together or in a very distraction oriented environment where I want ultimate control.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I started training Emilu with a chain collar, and when I switched instructors she had most of us using a prong collar. This did work better for training, but when I knew that I was going to show Emilu in Rally, I just stopped using it and went back to the chain collar, which is what I show her in now. I have a "nice rolled leather" collar too, but she identifies the chain collar with "performing" so I keep that on her for now.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
We use a check choke - it's a flat collar with a chain portion. They're available at petsmart. More control than regular cloth martingales

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
A martingale collar isn't really a training collar, which is probably why you don't like it very much. From what I have read about them, they are also called "Greyhound" collars, and I think they were primarily designed for dogs who can back out of their collars easily. We have them as our dogs' main collars. I can slip them over their heads, put the leash on the live ring, and if they pull (like if they see a dog and HAVE to go there), the collar tightens with no fear of them slipping out.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used the chain choke collar last night and it worked great. He really doesn't need a lot of corrections so it worked great. I think that is now our new training/show collar :)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
One trick you can use for transfering to a choke is to use a really fine choke collar. The fine choke gives you a bit more of a correction as opposed to a thick choke chain collar. You have to make sure you get a training collar though and not a show collar. The collar I use is a 1.5 mm by 22 inches and it gives a correction about midway between a normal sized choke and a prong collar. Its about the best collar you can use in the ring and still train with especially if you and your dog are used to prongs.

kelly and Amber

1 - 12 of 12 Posts