Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still can't believe I'm going to do this, but I'm entering Moose and I in Rally Novice at the end of April. So I guess the best thing would be to get a crate that I can use and handle easily.

Any links and suggestions on type and size would be greatly appreciated. Just for the heck of it I'm going to check out Big Lots since I know they have been known to have them, but I don't want to wait too long to order it so I can get him used to it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
PLease make sure you read the premiums carefully. Some places do not allow soft sided crates.

Otherwise, I have the 24" x 36" one I think. Medium. Rider has plenty o room.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Sharon, here's what we have:

http://www.midwesthomes4pets.com/ProductPages/CanineCampers.asp

We got the 1742 size. It's on the large side, and he could probably fit in the next size down, but this size gives him plenty of room to reposition and get comfy. :)

I love ours. It does set up very easy and is very sturdy. However, I don't pack it by myself...Kevin usually comes with and brings a dolly. So, I can't say how difficult it is to tote around...

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
YAY Sharon!! You are sooo going to get hooked! :) Agree with what Dani said too, some places won't allow soft crates.

This is the one I have for Henery when we travel: http://www.firstrax.net/product.php?b=1&id=35 I have the 36" one (anything bigger is a stretch to fit in my car) but we have the 42" at home.

It's so easy to set up and break down. :)

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I have never run into a situation at an obedience show that forbid soft sided crates. In the conformation shows, yes, they will say "no soft-sided crates" but this generally doesn't apply to obedience (at least in my area).

I love these crates, easy to carry and set up. I have the "medium" sized ones.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Karon - I have the one from Cleanrun and it is really nice, but I think for Moose I need something a little more rugged. We've used the other one on camping trips and when staying in a cabin for Sky.

Looks like the one on Amazon or the NoztoNoz will be the way I go. But I'm going to go by BigLots just in case tomorrow or tonight and see if I can get lucky.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
You just may. I bought the soft sided Samsonite cat carriers for my SIL there and they were under $12 and they had dog crates at the same time. You might want to try calling around to a few in your area if you are lucky enough to have more than 1 Big Lots around.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking the "no soft crates" thing must be regional - everyone at our club has them, and almost every crate I've ever seen at a show has been soft-sided.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Sharon, you're going to be hooked in no time!!! Scotty has three soft crates. All from Costco (two different models though). Our Costco still has them around $50, which I think is a good price. They are good quality soft crates.

I've never heard of soft crates no being allowed in Utah or California. It must be regional.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I've been to two shows that didn't allow soft-sided crates...and that went for both obedience and conformation. The last one was at MSU. So...as I was saying, just read the premiums carefully and enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Sharon. I have no advice on crates for shows and obedience but just wanted to say
hey! I am so glad to hear you are going to try obedience with Moose and Sky! Woohoo~

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have the 24 tall by 36 long one and its a good size. I haven't been to a show yet in southern California that didn't allow soft sided crates. They even allowed them at the AKC Invitational at Long Beach. I am not sure why any show wouldn't allow soft sided crates? I could see why they might not want X-pens as dogs are always getting out of those.

Kelly and Amber

1 - 14 of 14 Posts