Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All --
I'm in a position now where I can't always come home to eat.
I'm discussing with friend to have his son come feed when i'm not able to and with the possibility of him walking him also.
I've never had to do this before, so i'm wondering if anyone could suggest what would be an appropriate amount to pay for that kind of duty??
He's a high school age boy and needs to save money for a summer trip. So i'm willing to help but what would be appropriate??

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
You can start at what I call the bottom. What is minimum wage in your area? How long should it take him to do it?

Once you have that answer, think about what additional value you are paying him for. i.e. If he is going to take the dog out for a walk, what value do you place on keepinghim responsible enough to make sure he does it, and make sure he brings the dog back. i.e. the dog does not run off on him. Then how hard is it to handle the dog on lead.

I guess I am suggesting adding a couple bucks/hour to encourage responsibility.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
$10 feed only.
$25 for feed/walk/potty responsibilities.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
In my area the going rate is $20.00 for someone to come to the house and feed/potty the animals, per trip. Gets pricey if you want them several times a day.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
We pay $18 per visit from our dog sitter. She comes over and plays fetch with both boys, makes sure they potty, and does a little training with them (she's an agility instructor). She stays 30-45 minutes.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
standard rate here for an hour walk with a professional petsitter is $16, and for that you (should) get someone who has insurance and is bonded, has references and is reliable.. which may or may not be true for teenage sons of friends. I know of teenagers that do this for summer jobs that charge 10 bucks.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I guess it depends on the kid.. for me, I would probably start at $10 if he's just going over there, feeding, quick potty.. If he walks the dog, maybe a bit more... but even if he's there for an hour and you're paying him $15-20, that's pretttty good money, even for a kid!

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
The going rate around here is anywhere from $18 to $20+. Most places also want a contract that ties you in to only cancelling 2 week days per month.

We got lucky, finding a wonderful lady who charges $17 per day for a 40 minute walk. No contract and very flexible. She visits every weekday at lunchtime. Dex has known her since he was a pup and also stays at her house when we are away.

I think what Justine said is about right...

I would probably start at $10 if he's just going over there, feeding, quick potty.. If he walks the dog, maybe a bit more...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the $10 proposal.
I usually come home for lunch but sometimes am caught up in lunch meetings, that's when I would use him.
However, I'm also considering a daily walk too.
Thank you all for your input!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts