Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were kicking around steak on my CAS board today and how you like it, dug this up from Mark Twain, it's been in a lot of the books I have researched on 19th century food, but it about says it for me.

Scanned from a reprint of the 1906 Crosby Washburn Gold Medal Flour Cookbook. In the 1930's the name would be changed to The Betty Crocker Cookbook. ;)

So this about says it for me, like this medium, the butter makes it juicy and not dry. So how do you like yours and what kind? ;D

·
Registered
413 Posts
Either fillet or porterhouse and rare plus shrooms and horseradish and baked tater with all the fixins

ETA: and Red Vino, of course

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Wow! I just drooled on myself! I love my steaks!

It has to be at least and inch thick,nicely marbled and a 1/4 inch rim of fat. I prefer my steaks aged. I use a very light pepper rub (Su found it somewhere) but I don't use the butter, I use a little olive oil. I grill my steaks on a hot fire, turned only once,with a slightly pink center.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Don't touch the stuff. The only red meat I will eat is a ground sirloin burger once in a blue moon.

The melted butter is different though. Bet my husband would love that!

J

·
0 Posts
I am no kidding about to drool. My mouth is watering. I LOVE steak! But I like NO red or pink. I dont want shoe leather, and I dont want my steak still MOOing. My favorite is Filet Minon wrapped in bacon, but try getting that with no pink. I usually tell the chef it is ok to butterfly it.

Heck I like beef. Period.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The butter was very common in the 19th century, we have a steak house here in Lincoln, Skeeter Barnes that does it. The owner is a big Ex-Nebr football player with a degree in meat sciences. ;D

You can google it if you want, I posted the link one time and Dan ruined his shirt droolin'. ;D

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
I don't care about the small island of fat or the bone, but he's got everything else dead on! Oh, and a little less than medium, plz.

J

·
0 Posts
theoconbrio said:
I don't care about the small island of fat or the bone, but he's got everything else dead on! Oh, and a little less than medium, plz.
You dont seem like the red meat eatting type. I had you pictured as drinking organic milk and eatting granola and dried fruit. :p

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
JollyMolly said:
theoconbrio said:
You dont seem like the red meat eatting type. I had you pictured as drinking organic milk and eatting granola and dried fruit. :p
Yeah? Well you don't seem like the stogie-chomping type either, but I guess I was wrong about that. :D

I like my cows local, grass-fed, organic, and happy. And then quickly whacked on the head so they don't know what hit them. I don't eat a lot of red meat, so when I do I'm willing to pay a little more for something really good.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
We had filet mignon at the Canada pavilion in Epcot while on vacation (restaurant named LeCellier). This was one of the best meals I've ever eaten in my life. They got the medium-rare just right, and it was tender enough to cut with a spork.

Came with cheese soup that I wasn't happy 'til I'd slurped every last drop of. And a salad that had pecan-infused vinaigrette. And pretzel bread.

If I'm ever on death row, this will be my last meal. At that point, who cares about cholesterol?

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
A nice cut of Filet Mignon, medium please. *drools* With a loaded baked potato and sauteed mushrooms. *drool* Lets not forget the wine either!

This thread has just killed me.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Ribeye, medium to medium rare. Or prime rib cooked the same and with au jus.

J

·
0 Posts
dweck said:
We had filet mignon at the Canada pavilion in Epcot while on vacation (restaurant named LeCellier). This was one of the best meals I've ever eaten in my life. They got the medium-rare just right, and it was tender enough to cut with a spork.

Came with cheese soup that I wasn't happy 'til I'd slurped every last drop of. And a salad that had pecan-infused vinaigrette. And pretzel bread.

If I'm ever on death row, this will be my last meal. At that point, who cares about cholesterol?
When you are in Disneyland /Disney World there is no such thing as calories, fat, carbs, or cholesterol. It's part of the Disney Magic. ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts