Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got home tonight and was planning on taking the dogs to training. I was getting into the closet in the garage that holds their food, towels, toys and stuff. As soon as I opened the door, Skippy stuck his head in and grabbed something and started chomping down on it. I couldn't figure what what he could have grabbed (no bags of dog food right now), and just as I decided to make him "drop-it" he spit it out - a little block of RAT POISON!!!!! It was bright blue and I remember that SU said he had put some rat poison in the closet because he found a mouse. I wasn't very happy about it, but didn't think the dogs would ever be near it. So I kicked into high gear - called the vet, looked for our hydrgen peroxide, called SU, found a chunk in one of the other closets to compare size, weighed the bocks to see how much he might have gotten, coudln't find H2O2 anywhere in the house - called the vet back, stuck my hand down his throat several times to try to make him vomit - loaded him up in the car, drove to the neighbors and got a bottle of their H2O2, brought him home and poored half the bottle down his throat. About this time SU came home early (figured he'd better helped cuz he knew I'd kill him if something happened to Skippy), then I mixed the peroxide with water and poured some more down him. Finally he up-chucked good and there was the bright blue chunk of poison that he had eaten. He threw up a couple more times and is fine now. I called the vet back to see if there was anything else I should do - they said to watch him, and if he doesn't seem well, they could give him Vit K. I went and got some from the pharmacy and will give him some just to be on the safe side, but I really think that he puked it all up, and it hadn't been in him more than 15 minutes. Thank-God that he didn't gulp it down in one bite - I probably would have never realized that it was rat poison that he had gotten.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,427 Posts
Oh, my! I'm glad you took quick action with Skippy and that's he's better. It's amazing how quickly they can find the items you don't want them to find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,586 Posts
HOLY CRAP!!!!!

I would have had a freaking heart attack. OMG Pat. It sounds like you did great. This kind of thing scares the living s*it out of me.

Thank goodness he dropped it. Good boy Skippy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,041 Posts
Oh no! You were so together taking care of Skippy! I don't know that I would have been capable... Glad Skippy is going to be ok.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,307 Posts
I was yelling at the screen as I was reading the beginning. You did all the right stuff, not sure about the Vitamin K if he didn't digest any.

HK got a block of that stuff out of the neighbors garage and we went through the same thing. After I did the emergency stuff at home, I dragged her to the vet. Told my story, got a nice pat on the back for doing all the right stuff and told to take her back home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
So glad you noticed what he got and knew exactly what to do. And what a good boy that Skippy was listening to his momma!! He should get an extra treat tonight! And so should you!!!!

Many years ago I bought a huge tub of rat poison to try and get rid of the voles in our yard. They were so bad they were girdling all our trees and killing them. I made sure the poison was covered with heavy blocks so no other wildlife/pets could get at it. While I was at work one day my mom decided to help out and NOT THINKING put it all around the yard and Huckle got into it. I was SO mad but felt so fortunate that I had caught him in the act of eating something and noticed "rat poison blue" stuff in his teeth. I've never used rat poison since.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,423 Posts
OMG how scary!

My heart was racing just reading this, I cant imagine what you went through!

Your very fast thinking saved that boy for sure!

Sending out a good vibes for Skippy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,546 Posts
Oh my! I am SO GLAD you noticed, I would have been all in a panic. I'm sending continued good thoughts and prayers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
WOW how scary!!! I hate teaching it but "drop it" is probably the most important command one can make sure their dog knows well!!! So many times they grab things so quickly and they don't know the difference between what is good and what is bad. I'm so glad everything came out fine...how scary...my hands were shaking by the end just from reading the chain of events! I can imagine how scary it was being there! Again glad everything is settled down now!:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Believe me - the house looked llike a tornado had gone through it after I got done looking for the peroxide! We usually have some, and I'm going to go through the house more thouroughly today and see if I missed it last night in my frenzy. I don't like putting rat poison ANYWHERE in the house if you have animals, but SU always thinks that he can put it where they can't possibly get at it. But I say that even if they eat a mouse that has eaten the poison, it can be very bad for them. I also can't believe how quickly Skippy leaped in there to get it - it must have a very good smell or something - and I SO GLAD that he didn't just swallow it whole and that I saw it because quite frankly he probably would have died if he had eaten it all and I might never have figured it out. I wasn't sure about giving him Vit K either if he got it all out, but I figure if I just give him a couple pills it can't hurt - this is OTC Vit K the people can take as a supplement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44,122 Posts
OMG Pat!!!!! Thank God you saw him take it. Great job on your part. I would be pissssssssssssssed at hubby!! How dare he put it in dogs reach!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,824 Posts
Egad... what a frightening experience!!!

Glad to see it looks like Skippy will be fine, but I'll keep my fingers crossed just in case. Bet the hubs will think twice before buying or putting rat poison anywhere in your house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,830 Posts
Oh no! You were so together taking care of Skippy! I don't know that I would have been capable... Glad Skippy is going to be ok.
No kidding! Talk about keeping it together! Well done, Pat. WELL done!
Let us know how Skippy is doing in the next few days.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top