Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately Willow’s recall ability has been lost. If outside and I call her and she doesn’t “want” to come then it’s off in another direction for her!

This is especially irritating at night when I want to go to bed and I have to either wait for her or chase her around the house at 11:00 at night in the winter. I feel by doing this I am giving in to her rather then having her do what I want.

Even treats don’t seem to work with her she will get within about 10 feet of me and stop and look at me with a look that says, “Well give me the dam treat already.”

She does this in the house also. When I go to put her in her crate at night she will stand in the doorway of her room (just out of arms reach) with her stupid Labby look.

How do I reinforce this? Is it back to the drawing board for me and recall?

She is just under 2 years old.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
I would leash her at all times outside until she listens. Sounds like the terrible twos. LOL You could also try her on a long line (20-30 feet) lead and give her a yank when she doesn't respond. I've never had a problem in the house with any of my dogs so I don't know what to tell you about that.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Ah...the terrible twos. It is so frustrating. Our last lab did that around the same age. Once she embarrassed me so bad in front of my neighbor. She knew the come in command but chose to ignore me. Everytime I would get close enough to grab her collar she would run away. I'm sure it was a fun game for her. Finally, I was late for work & was really getting mad. My neighbor saw what was happening & called Shadow & said "Want to go for a ride?" The idiot ran in her garage & jumped in her car. :mad: At least I could get the leash on her. ::)

I swore I would teach any further dogs I got the "come in" command & expect them to listen. Well, Molly & Abby have had many obedience classes & the only things we really drilled into them since puppyhood was ...sit, stay & come. They do very well. But we used a long leash & worked on the come in every day..just for a few minutes. The occassional times they chose to have selective hearing...I went to them & we started the lesson over, or back to the long leash. :)

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
she probably thinks it's a game. it's miscommunication more than stubbornness, at least that's how i like to look at it. :)

don't use rewards as a bribe. rewards are much more powerful when presented AFTER the desired behavior is given.

if it were me, i'd make her drag a leash or long line to diminish the occurrences of these games when you are in a time contraint to have her comply, but when you have time, use that time to allow her to make the good decision to come to you of her own free will, then and only then, reward her for it, meaning don't show her the prize ahead of time.

with lots of repetition, the training of the response to the cue will become automatic, making her more "cooperative" more consistently, but you've got to diminish the occurrences where she gets to practise the unwanted behavior and increase the occurrences where she is able to practise the behavior you want ingrained in her training.

:) good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts