Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a bad cold since Saturday -- runny nose, some sneezing, m-u-c-h coughing. I've taken some OTC cold meds which helped the sneezing & runny nose but not the coughing. My ribs were aching from coughing so much. Except for Puff's early morning walk in the nature preserve, I've been mainly sleeping.

So yesterday, I called my doctor's office and told the nurse. She called back saying they'd phoned in prescriptions to a nearby pharmacy -- Tussionex suspension (liquid), 1 tsp. at bedtime and Benzonatate (pills) one 2X day.

Around 7 PM, I took a pill and a teaspoonful of the Tussionex and laid down. Woke up briefly at 1 AM and tried to walk into the living room to turn off the TV -- could barely manage it, hanging on to the bedposts, walls, anything.

I slept until 7 AM and have only coughed once. :clap2:

On the bottle it says -- "use care when operating a car or dangerous machinery"

No kidding!!?!!?

Man, is that stuff powerful!! And expensive -- about $110 for maybe 3 oz.

But well worth it to not be wracked by coughing.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I hope it works for you, Bob. Ugh though, I hate taking any kinds of meds! I want to be able to feel like ME, not some freak.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
I'm so glad we don't need a prescription for codeine up here. When I was living in the US, I just about died not having access to it.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Yea, codeine is pretty mild compared to what's out there these days. It should be OTC.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Wow. I used to have a Dr. Feelgood who would prescribe whatever over the phone. No more. I hate sitting in the waiting room with all the sickies making me sicker.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I hate sitting in the waiting room with all the sickies making me sicker.
I look like a total germophobe in the doctor's office. I try not to touch anything - no magazines, no railings, use my own pen to sign in. Gross.

Glad you've got some relief Bob! Get well soon :)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Bob, I had a cough like that last week. It lasted about a week.

Side note: On my way to the DP Sat morning they had a Dr. on the radio taking calls from people. Someone asked for recommendations on OTC cold meds to get rid of a cold. Dr. said that the cold would last about 7 days if they did nothing. If they tried taking OTC meds, it would help the symptoms and the cold would only last a week.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Codeine is my drug of choice.
It's the ONLY thing that works when I get a cough like that.

I will say though that if you have to be on it for awhile (I took it for over a week after surgery once) getting off of it is bad. I had the heebie jeebie and literally paced the floor, didn't know what to do with my legs, felt like they were all crawly. Awful. But that certainly wouldn't stop me from taking it again.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Glad you are getting some relief Bob. Codeine gives me the worst headache in the world, and makes me very itchy . . . not a fan!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Glad it works for you Bob...hope you feel 100% soon.

I can not take codeine. It makes me walk the ceiling I am so ansy...don't sleep at all, sick to my stomach day 1 puking by day 2. By nature I am a nice person even when I am sick. I am the type that likes to be left alone don't need anyone to wait on me just make me some soup once in a while. On codeine I take B*TCH to new meaning everyone hides.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HersheyK's Dad
Bob, I had a cough like that last week. It lasted about a week.

Side note: On my way to the DP Sat morning they had a Dr. on the radio taking calls from people. Someone asked for recommendations on OTC cold meds to get rid of a cold. Dr. said that the cold would last about 7 days if they did nothing. If they tried taking OTC meds, it would help the symptoms and the cold would only last a week.
That's about the time I figured on, too.

This one began last Saturday and by now, thank heavens, it is on its way out. But the coughing fits were much worse than any I can remember ever having -- a spell would begin and often it was hard for me to breathe at times, the coughing was so extended. And my ribs and stomach muscles were hurting (I guess it was good exercise for them).

Today, I feel so MUCH better -- not 100% but much nearer.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I will say though that if you have to be on it for awhile (I took it for over a week after surgery once) getting off of it is bad. I had the heebie jeebie and literally paced the floor, didn't know what to do with my legs, felt like they were all crawly. Awful. But that certainly wouldn't stop me from taking it again.
Ew, really? It's that addicting? I can't imagine what the stonger meds are like. Co-worker told me the other day that his wife is on oxycontin, takes it everyday. Has for awhile.... eek.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts